HybridZ

Nother source for flip-up gas door

Owen

I'm in my auto class last nite and this guy rolls up in his brother's 280z. From far away I immediately notice something weird in the gas filler area so I take a closer look.

The guy had the flip-up filler cap from the newer Mitsubishi Eclipse (or Spyder?) in place of the original door. Looked really racy and would look even better if it was smoothed in. Seems like the Audi TT has a pretty good looking design as well.

Owen

Heh, who knows. Maybe I can get some. What sucks is they weren't locking lids.

I really need a solution to the "lift up the hatch and fill the cell" method. And my batt box is totally blocking the stock filler location from the inside. Maybe I'll put the filler door on the other side of the car?

Owen

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

I scored one off of eBay from a Honda CBR600 for.. get this... $14 shipped! I'm pretty stoked about that... So look around on eBay for a similar deal, you just might get lucky

This is it here

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=598504514&r=0&t=0&showTutorial=0&ed=1007455774&indexURL=0&rd=1

Now if someone could tell me, or give me some pointers as how to actually install this thing, I'd be grateful.

If you wanna put a MC gascap in your car you should get the whole gastank (can you say junkyard), cause then you can cut out part of the mc tank(ie the top of the tank ) and weld it into your car and smooth it out. This way the cap will seal properly, you would have to attach a hose leading into your tank though. A friend of mine did it to his truck, looked pretty nice.

Thure

Guest Anonymous

icon_eek.gif The thought of doing any welding on a gas tank is scary... Even if it is only a little peice, our autoshop teacher had a friend who got hurt pretty badly welding a gas tank, and he took all possible precautions...

I'd still do it (thinking of it actually), though be pretty carefull in doing so...

just my thoughts,

Kris

Guest Anonymous

Hmm.. don't have the gas tank unfortunately. So how difficult would it be to adapt this filler to the neck that connects it to the stock gas tank? I was thinking I can adapt some aluminum piping (or plastic or whatever) for that very same purpose. Any ideas?

Also how would I fit this thing onto the body of the car? weld the gas door shut, cut a hole in it and stick the filler in? Has anybody here done this before? Hopefully we can get Big Phil to comment and provide some insight on the matter. Thanks