HybridZ

S30 seat belt differences....

My 75' 280Z didnt have seat belts when I bought it. I ended up picking up a set of belts for what I only now realize is a 77-78 S30 chassis... which means the shoulder belt mounts to the rear strut tower. Is this a chassis difference, or is there a part that bolts in that location to allow me to use these belts, or am I better off trying to find an earlier set? Also, does anyone have a picture of the towers where these would mount to? I'm curious to see how its supposed to be mounted. Thanks,

-Nick

• 1 month later...

I don't have pictures just yet, but I have a set of 77 belts and yes they do mount to the rear strut towers. the upper belt mounts to the bolts on top of the tower. If you find some 2+2 belts they'll mount to the side of the B pillar behind the interior body panel. Either way it shouldn't be too tough to mount them. tho I'd use grade 5 bolts at a min. Alternatively, you can easilly pick up a 5 point harness kit, it'll mount behind the seat to the floor. I couldn't tell you the Chassis differece there, I thought the 75' also mounted to the tower.

Do you want to trust your safety with belts that are more than 30 years old? While I've not seen any hard data that proves this, the consensus appears to be that over time the strength of the belt material deteriorates. If you have to buy belts anyway, why not buy new ones?

I went with lap/shoulder belts from Wesco Performance http://www.wescoperformance.com/seat-belts-racing.html but I'm sure there are other sources as well.