HybridZ

DIY knock sensor

Lazeum

I haven't found anything on the board regarding the DIY knock sensor (detcan?).

I was wondering why no one has made a sensor like this? blink.gif

Since I don't know and I'm in tuning stage, I've decided to do my own. So here is my "how to".

I've made the tool but I did not have the opportunity to use it yet. I'll be glad to hear feedback from those who did it.

The principle for those who did not know this process is to get a copper tube attached to the motor that would vibrate. This would make the air inside to vibrate as well (obviously then everything in the "sensor" has to be air tight). With some ear protector headsets, you can listen to the soundwaves thanks to some tubing. Tubing has to be long enough to go from the engine bay to the cabin.

I wouldn't advice to drive the car AND to have the headset on at the same time... rolleyes.gif

Here is the list of parts required:

- Some piece of copper tube (S shape makes it easy to work with)

- Some kind of tube connector in brass or other type of material.

- Some hoses (~2 meters)

- A T-joint to hold hoses together

- ear protector headset

- some clamps

+ basic tools

I've started with the copper pipe, I've made it fit inside the connector. I've cut the pipe, rolled it with some pliers and tight it up by torquing it inside the thread of the connector.

p0504110.jpg

p0504111.jpg

I've flattened the other side with a vice, once...

p0504113.jpg

....then Twice to get a good seal.

p0504114.jpg

I've used some solder with a torche to seal the pipe. you cannot see it on the following pictures but you'll have to drill a hole to get a bolt thru it to attach it to the motor with a bolt (see other picture below to see the hole).

p0504112.jpg

Next step is go get some holes drilled into the headset and stick hoses inside cut a the right length.

p2504110.jpg

p2504111.jpg

I've added some silicone on hoses. I had some available so why not...

p2504112.jpg

I don't think this is something very new; some other "How to" are available on the net but it might be something usefull to get as soon as you mess up with timing.

According to some tuner friends, it is much easier, more responsive and more accurate than most of the expensive electronic ones you'll find online. On SR, they don't even rely on stock sensor, they are only relying on this DIY one.

So why not giving it a try! smile.gif

Since I don't know what to expect as far as noise to spot (I have a rough idea though), if some have also some good comments, I'm also in! We might also be able to ear noise rockers, bad bearings, etc....

Edited by Lazeum

Most likely next to cylinder 5 & 6 2thumbs.gif

On the passenger side, you have the heater hose support for instance on the block or on knock sensor location (I have a P79 ). It requires however a big bolt (M14?) so a fairly large piece of pipe (to drill Ø14 hole) might have to be used for this one.

People also clamp it on support to lift the engine, it seems to work also...

Edited by Lazeum

Most likely next to cylinder 5 & 6 2thumbs.gif

On the passenger side, you have the heater hose support for instance on the block or on knock sensor location (I have a P79 ). It requires however a big bolt (M14?) so a fairly large piece of pipe (to drill Ø14 hole) might have to be used for this one.

People also clamp it on support to lift the engine, it seems to work also...

Will you please take a photo of your face with the headset ?

I WANNA LAUGH !!!