HybridZ

another no spark I know

First off let me let you know I have seached many forums and the net for over a week and I am getting no were. I recently purchased 2 81 280zx non turbos. Both had been sitting for awhile but was told both ran when parked (doesn't make since why they would park them). Both have identical concerns, no spark. I have checked power and grounds to coil, ohmed the ingnition module and distributer, checked all fuses and relays, checked resistances in circuits, and checked conectors for corroision. All check good. The things other than spark I have noticed is the Tach does no work, the ECM light lights up when key is on but then goes out as soon as I try to start and it will not come back on until I cycle the key to off then back on. I am a Ford Master Tech so I do know all about tests but, I can not find any good wireing diagrams too use. Any idea of what I need to be looking for or at? Also do you have or know were any good diagrams can be located other than the cheesey chilton versions?

Thanks

Great diagram on carfiche.com. Thanks. Still no spark. I have ran trhough the checks listed on the manual and have no came up with anything. What all signals does the ECU need to produce spark? I have heard TP and MAF. Also should the tach be moving at all during cranking and what should the ECU light do when cranking?

Not sure about the '81 model but on previous models the ignition is handled by the transistor igniton unit, the ECU manages fuel only based on a trigger impulse from the ignition.

So if there is a problem getting a spark, you need to check the output from the magnetic coil trigger unit in the distributor and the functionality transistor ignition itself. The attached wiring scheme might be useful.

You won't see any activity on the tach while the starter is activted, as the RPM is well below 500 when turning the engine.

post-9530-12727500949194_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...