HybridZ

problems from backwards jump?

ive finally found a datsun 280z local that is a good price but the ad says "car ran till it was jumped backwards" or something to that effect. i was wondering what kind of potential problems can arise from this and if they would be of a magnatude to where i should look for a differant car. thanks

...what kind of potential problems ...

Yup, potential and current. Those would be the problems.

EDIT: Sorry, I just noticed this is your first post. Just having a little fun with you. It sounds like the "jump" was a jump start that reversed the positive and negative terminals of the battery. You could be looking at a lot of damaged and burned up electrical bits. If your forte is automotive electrical than go for it. If not, expect to pay a pro ($) to find, sort, and replace all the damaged bits. Could be quite pricey by the time the car actually runs.

Edited by Dan Juday

If its close by, then drive over and check it out. Bring a spare battery. See if it starts. Another thing to consider is, do you want to keep it as fuel injected? Swapping over to carbs will eliminate a lot of the wiring under the hood that could have crapped out due to the backwards jump. Also, even it if doesnt start, the spare battery can help you look at other things, such as the lights, signals, etc.

well at the moment its sadly in the 500 to 800 range. i have a panel saw ive been trying to sell for awhile that would up those numbers by 1000 but no one seems to want it. im down for a car that would need work, hell id be fine with a rolling chassis. rust in certain spots would be intimidating, like the doglegs, but ive always loved the early z's and even if its 1 new part a month id be happy just looking at the thing in my driveway.

dangerboy,

I bought this car (5-speed), and as the saying goes, the early bird gets the worm. Or, at least a car that looks like worms have eaten through it. If you would be happy with a Z sitting in your driveway, I would be glad to park it there so my HOA doesn't tow it off or the neighborhood kids don't get tetanus from playing near a piece of mobile rust.

In case anyone is interested, what happened is the previous owner tried to jump-start it but connected the jumper cables backwards and saw a puff of smoke. That was the ignition switch fusible link hopefully protecting a maze of Japanese wiring goodness. Of course, that was replaced (twisted around the non-burnt parts of the fusible link terminals) with a bit of 16AWG wire, after which he says he did not repeat the same backwards jumper cable mistake. Didn't start so he replaced the fuel pump, still no luck so he put it on Craigslist that same day. When I went to look at it, I replaced the wire with an 80 amp breaker and tried to start it, cranks fine but no ignition, didn't bother listening if the pump was running or not.

Initial inspection shows the framerails and floorpans look pretty good, rails are not crushed and have little rust, won't know more until I get it home, probably tomorrow. Body is rough, fist sized rust hole in one rear quarter behind wheel, other lower quarter likely to fall off on the tow ride home.

Upside is the previous owner had bought all new interior, carpet, complete weatherstripping/seals, electric door locks, Sony CD and speakers. Most of the interior parts and the lock kit are still new in bags/boxes.

My plan was to race it in the 24hoursofLeMons but I have been missing a certain sense of hopeless desperation in my life so I think I will try to restore it. If you are still in the market for this in 6 months I will probably be trying to sell it as I will be at my wits end.

ttl

small world huh. i should actually be purchasing a 240z this weekend so hopefully that empty slot in my driveway will be filled. good luck with your restoration and who knows, in 6 months i may be interested in that 280. his previous craigslist post however had said that he simply removed the plastics and spray painted them black because the interior was originally brown. either way, new goodies in a box always make a sale a little better.