HybridZ

Paint Ghosting

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey all -

It will be a while before the paint goes on the Roadster, but I was wondering how to "ghost" paint. My custom will be black and I want to ghost "67c" racing numbers on the doors. I want it so it can be seen only if you look hard - I don't want it to stand out. Do I mix a tad bit of color like gray in the black to get this effect. I am having a hard time finding information about this paint technique.

As always - Thanks for the help!!

Phil

Guest Anonymous

I saw that sort of paint on some custom bikes and on some lowriders and its awesome. One angle, nice paint, another angle bamm, flames! That would be really cool. Theres are some real sharp paint guys on here that can probably tell you how its done, or point you in the right direction. I think its a separate coat before the clear, but I'd be lying if I said I knew that for fact. I can say I think that would look sweet!

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

Im think its put on just before the clear coat, it would look cool done free hand with an air brush and blend the edges out so it looks wisps of smoke or something.

P.S. what base colour are you going to use?

hey this new update thing is cool, but its jumping me in and out real quick on the reply

i meant to say im probably going chevy hugger orange, with an orange metallic touch to it, with a slightly darker ghostflames, or type R yellow with the same deal, or maybe even HONDA championship white, i do want to finish on the paint and body before years end, the funny thing i help do body work and ive painted cars a lot this year, and i still have to do a lot to my own car, im gonna post flicks soon of the works ive helped make. im also still working out the bugs on this car and making junkyard dog runs to finish it up, i dont want to have to worry about paint on top of all that. but imma make this puppy CLEAN. icon_biggrin.gif

The ghost flames are done by painting your base color first, then the flame, or in your case number with a pearl paint. Pearl is transparent, and will just leave a hint of the color you want. you then clear over both, a good tape like fine line is needed so you don't get a build up on the edge. Couple coats of clear, wet sand, and more clear. Trying to find web site that has a good detailed info story on the subject, It's more for bikes but it's the same.

Do a search for "ghost flames" I'll bet you find something icon_smile.gif I believe that the ghost effects are done in the clearcoat not in the base. Paint it "normal", clear it, paint the light ghosting by mixing something into the clear and masking what you want to show up, then clear over it. I THINK that's how it's done...

Guest Anonymous

Thanks Staledale!! I see much clearer now icon_smile.gif It lools easy enough. Hey, I might even to the strips across the top of the car in ghost. I think using a hard line on the outside of the number/strip then fading in with an air brush would look nice - like Rob said. Fairlady - let us know how yours turns out!! And pictures please!

Thanks!

Phil

There was an early 70's camaro in Hot Rod a few years ago that was red with a white racing stripe down the center. On top of the racing stripe, he ghosted a checker board. He used contact paper cut into 2" squares to mask off the checkerboard if I remember correctly.

Guest Anonymous

Staledale, thanks for that paint link, that is awesome info. I want to do my bike in ghost flame as well, and this info is really helpfull. Thanks again.

Lone

• 1 month later...