HybridZ

240z brake light layout

Ok for the life of my I cant figure this out- and trying to find videos isnt helping much at all.

How are the brake/running lights supposed to be set up on the 240z? I was under the impression that the upper two lights were the running/brake lights, and the lower light was for the turn signals, ie:

(Yes i know big phils car was a 280z to begin with, just showing)

But mine work completely different. The upper 2 are the running lights, and the upper/outer light, and the lower light are the brake lights/turn signal. Ie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHXfViZPTV4

But then ive seen OTHER videos even yet, where ALL 3 lights come on while braking

My question is- how is it SUPPOSED to be set up- and does anyone have any advice as to how i can get mine to work like what i thought they would/big phils? With the upper 2 being brakes/running lights, and the lower being a turn signal light? Im not a wiring guy so this will hopefully be a decent "learning" experience

Edited by Sideways

I'm not sure how they're supposed to be but if you want to change them an easy way is to just change which bulbs go where. If you look at the back of the taillights you will see 4 bulbs in 4 separate housings, you can mover them around to get them in the locations you want

The way the factory did the rear lights is far from safe on a car that gets driven at night. When I did my wiring harness, I wired them all up with the three wire socket minus the backup light, so the brake light would have two bulbs and the turn signal would be illuminated whenever the running lights where on. I would highly suggest if you have the skills and time, to make a new wiring harness for the running and headlights and put everything on relay's directly connected to the battery.