HybridZ

Inner Tie Rod ends

I have a 1977 280z and I took it to Firestone to get it inspected and aligned. It failed inspection and they couldn't align it because of the side to side play in the inner tie rod ends. I just replaced the outer tie rod ends before I took it to them. They said they could not source them and I thought that was 100% BS but when I looked online and tried to source them I could not either. I called the local Nissan dealer to see if they could order them but they told me that that part isn't made anymore. WTF! The guy at Nissan suggested that I check Bap Geon but they are closed now so I will check them in the morning. I am very close to getting it inspected and this is the only thing stopping me. Any suggestions?

The inner tie rods are actually ball and sockets that can be adjusted, unless damaged somehow.

Both of the inner tie-rods are threaded onto the rack.

There is a spring and seat that push on the ball part of the ball and socket to keep it tensioned.

post-11579-12731923315446_thumb.gif

The inner tie rods are actually ball and sockets that can be adjusted, unless damaged somehow.

Both of the inner tie-rods are threaded onto the rack.

There is a spring and seat that push on the ball part of the ball and socket to keep it tensioned.

Further on down that page in the FSM (page ST-8) at the bottom right hand side of the page. It reads

"Check the inner ball joint for play. If ball stud is worn or play in axial direction is excessive or joint is hard to swing, replace as a complete unit."

Luckily I had an additional steering rack assembly from another car. I took this to Firestone along with that page from the FSM. Apparently it is possible for the ball on the end of the stud to become worn and not sit firmly against the seat. I spoke with the mechanic and he said he had not seen anything like it and that it was a very strange steering setup. Anyway its done and finished now so whatever

Firestone swapped the inner tie rods from my other steering rack to the car and then they were able to align and inspect it. I guess they were in better shape. Hopefully this post will help someone else with the same issue.