HybridZ

is this a good turbo

Its tiny...

The stock T3 is tiny. The T3/4 hybrid that 1979280zx mentions is a decent upgrade that should get him to 400crank HP if all the other supporting parts are in place. Personally I'd say the smaller 50 trim T04E compressor wheel is a better fit for the L28. The compressor map for the 50 wheel is superior is most every way as compared to the 57. The setup he mentions will bolt in to the stock location with the .50 A/R housing. Anything larger will hit the exhaust manifold unless a spacer is used.

So my answer to his question is yes but with a 50 compressor wheel and a stage 3 turbine T3 wheel. The T4 57 or 50 compressor wheel will outflow what a stock T3 turbine wheel can handle.

If he wants a slightly larger turbo over stock then go to a T3 Super 60 compressor or maybe even a T04E 46 trim with the stock turbine.

Edited by jgkurz

• 4 weeks later...

The stock T3 is tiny. The T3/4 hybrid that 1979280zx mentions is a decent upgrade that should get him to 400crank HP if all the other supporting parts are in place. Personally I'd say the smaller 50 trim T04E compressor wheel is a better fit for the L28. The compressor map for the 50 wheel is superior is most every way as compared to the 57. The setup he mentions will bolt in to the stock location with the .50 A/R housing. Anything larger will hit the exhaust manifold unless a spacer is used.

So my answer to his question is yes but with a 50 compressor wheel and a stage 3 turbine T3 wheel. The T4 57 or 50 compressor wheel will outflow what a stock T3 turbine wheel can handle.

If he wants a slightly larger turbo over stock then go to a T3 Super 60 compressor or maybe even a T04E 46 trim with the stock turbine.

huh? he didn't even mention what manufacturer, frame or wheels this turbo has. It could be a 40lb/min wimp or a 190lb, 2000hp monster.

huh? he didn't even mention what manufacturer, frame or wheels this turbo has. It could be a 40lb/min wimp or a 190lb, 2000hp monster.

What part of this statement ".57 COMPRESSOR WHEEL TRIM.50 A/R COMPRESSOR.63 A/R TURBINE" implies anything other than a T3/4 hybrid? I will agree that it's vague but there is enough information to make a reasonable assumption.

Edited by jgkurz

Just a heads up: the wastegate and actuator from the factory T3 and Garrett T3/4OE are NOT interchangeable, although they are really close. So you'd need to make sure you get it with a WG and its own actuator. Also, the stock factory downpipe won't bolt to the T3/T4's wastegate, and neither will the MSA downpipe. Ask me how I know this :(

I don't know if this is the case with the knock offs...

And as was said above, you do need a spacer and longer studs for the turbine to clear the manifold.

Just a heads up: the wastegate and actuator from the factory T3 and Garrett T3/4OE are NOT interchangeable, although they are really close. So you'd need to make sure you get it with a WG and its own actuator. Also, the stock factory downpipe won't bolt to the T3/T4's wastegate, and neither will the MSA downpipe. Ask me how I know this :(

I don't know if this is the case with the knock offs...

And as was said above, you do need a spacer and longer studs for the turbine to clear the manifold.

I use the factory Nissan T3 turbine housing but it was machined to accept a larger 10-blade wheel. I believe the MSA downpipe will only fit the combined Nissan turbine/wastegate. I used the factory wastegate for a while but I had terrible boost control. This was mostly due to enlarging the wastegate port which was a mistake in hindsight. The T4 compressor will just fit without a spacer when using the original L28ET turbine but you must use the very small .50 A/R compressor housing.

Edited by jgkurz

What part of this statement ".57 COMPRESSOR WHEEL TRIM.50 A/R COMPRESSOR.63 A/R TURBINE" implies anything other than a T3/4 hybrid? I will agree that it's vague but there is enough information to make a reasonable assumption.

It's a mechanical part, why should we have to infer what it is? I am constantly dealing with people that don't know if their 50 trim is a straight t3 or a hybrid...it's frusterating when the general car public doesn't even know what they are looking at but demand help. I get that it's an easy one to guess in this case but I was just pointing it out in hopes that the next guy might not just copy and paste from an ebay ad. It's a dying dream ;)