HybridZ

70-72 vs 73+ slave cylinder

sileightygx

can they be interchanged? i tried searching since i thought this would have been something asked before..but i couldn't find any info.

i have a 71 with the original adj pushrod slave cylinder, if i switch out to a 73+ slave cylinder, will the master cylinder still have enough adjustment for proper pedal height/play? i believe if i switch to the newer slave then i would need to switch out the clutch fork for a newer one as well..

Edited by sileightygx

thanks, but i already knew what part numbers are for what year. i was asking about changing over to the newer style slave/fork to get rid of the annoying adjustment on the stock slave cylinder. just wondering if anyone has done this, and had an easier time just adjusting the master cyl like any newer manual car. i show the part number for the master cylinder being the same for like 70-83 Zs, so im assuming if i change to the 73+ slave + fork there will still be enough adjustability by only adjusting the master cylinder.

Edited by sileightygx

I see what you are doing now....

You must get matching :

throwout bearing collar

Fork

rod

...and I am not sure about slave cylinder, but I assume so because the newer style has the spring inside.

I have a 72 myself, and I prefer the adjustment that's available.

Edit:

I'm all mixed up... I am trying compensate for the different pressure plate, not the slave cylinder.

when I replaced my slave cylinder years ago, Napa sold me a later unit. while it's almost correct the newer style does not nave the eyelet for the 72 fork return spring. I still used this, but I ended up making a bracket to attach the spring to on the slave side. Other than that it works just fine.

Edit to the edit:

Since you are wanting to replace the fork, rod and slave there will be no problem with the hydraulics. I am running on a stock master and a later slave, and I have plenty of pedal travel. The slave cylinder will work with either fork, just make sure the older slave cylinder has the spring inside like the zx's do. I don't know if it would work, but if yours does not have the spring, you might get by with a few bucks by just buying a complete rebuild kit for the 83.

I just wanted to make it clear that the forks are different, but interchangeable, so long as you get the newer rod with it. The older forks have a larger hole for the rod to pass through, and are thinner metal than the later units.

Edited by rejracer