HybridZ

Gas filler modofication

Guest 2adz

Who can give me details on how to replace the old gas door on a 280Z with a motorcycle gas cap like I have seen in Big Phil's pictures. I have factory replica fiberglass quarters and I want to eliminate the gas door and put in an "aircraft style" filler cap but would like to hear some tips on how to incorporate it into the existing filler neck.

• 2 weeks later...

If you still have the gas cap, and it's OEM assembly (i.e just lacking a door only), then have you considered the "Bullitt" Mustang fuel door. It can be made to work with fiberglass. It has a very slight curve to it, uses 6 torx screws to hold it on, and is a brushed aluminum appearance. This will require the OEM cap to still be intact though.

eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=600838856

This one still has the protective film on it.

Guest Big Phil

I used a motorcycle gas cap off of a wreck Honda CBR street bike. I cut the mounting assembly off the gas tank and welded it on. The mounting assembly filler neck mates with a gas resistant hose that connect to the car's gas tank.

It would be difficult to bond the assembly to fiberglass. Your best bet is to use a aftermarket assembly that includes the filler neck. Sparco makes a kit that includes everything you need the mount it to your fiberglass panel.

Phil

Sparco racing fuel cap assembly

Big Phil, thanks for your insight and tips. I have the cutout section of a motorcycle tank with filler assembly, I think I can weld it to the existing quarter and put the fiberglass quarter over the top making the filler cap slightly recessed. What I had a question with is that my filler hose coming from the tank is about 3" I.D. and the motorcycle filler hole is about 2" or less in diameter. Did you use a reducer or something?

Guest Big Phil

2adz,

I used a 3inch to 2 inch reducer from Pep Boys. Normally it is used to reduce exhaust pipe diameter. It cost 2 bucks. I would like to replace my fuel filler hose with a new aftermaket piece. Does anyone know where I can find a fuel resistant hose that 2 inch diameter?

Phil

It definately looks like the Miata one is a door. So, the Bullit one is a door/cap? I guess that would help to justify the additional $50.

It's a tough call because I like the idea of a remote/lockable setup. But the chrome might verge on the geech a bit.

Oh yeah. I am highly interested in some details on that Miata filler. Looks good in the pictures - hopefully it looks and feels as good in person.

I'm trying to figure out if I need to have the filler on the driver's side. If I use this Camaro tank that I have, I may need to flip it (to the standard FBody orientation) in order to gain some exhaust clearance. In which case, the filler will need to be on the driver's side and I'll need to patch the passenger hole (easy enough) and create a driver's hole. Using one of these caps would make that lots easier.

It would actually be nice to have it on the driver's side - much more convenient. Plus, if I do flip the tank, it can sit farther forward whichis better.

I was thinking about re-locating the filler also, if you need a longer hose here is a fairly cheap source for (filler/1 1/2" dia. gasoline compatible)hose.... . It's in the JC Whitney catalog in the marine (boat) section. 3ft, 5 ft, 10 ft sections.

Guest V8wannabe

what about going electronic to open the door...short cable (if necessary) and a coil like the ones on electric door locks or a smaller version of what is used for shaved door handles? Came up with that idea because I have both sitting inmy garage.