HybridZ

Fuel Pressure Regulator Problem

So on my 79 s130, I've always had problems with the idle, fluctuated and died. Today I decided to start pulling vacuum lines to check for suction. The first one I pulled was to the Fuel Pressure Regulator and now the car runs better than it ever has. This leaves me guessing that the FPR is clogged somehow, but why would it run even better without the vacuum? I am very confused and would appreciate any wisdom you wish to share.

PS if you tell me to search.....been there done that

Thanks,

Chuck

Edited by ckolander

So on my 79 s130, I've always had problems with the idle, fluctuated and died. Today I decided to start pulling vacuum lines to check for suction. The first one I pulled was to the Fuel Pressure Regulator and now the car runs better than it ever has. This leaves me guessing that the FPR is clogged somehow, but why would it run even better without the vacuum? I am very confused and would appreciate any wisdom you wish to share.

PS if you tell me to search.....been there done that

Thanks,

Chuck

SO maybe it was just bad, why dont you try putting a different one in?

WITH NO/little vacuum the fpr raises the pressure on the fuel rail thinking that you are at full throttle. put a pressure gage on the system and find out what is happening cheaper than throwing parts at it using the wild a** guess method. Perhaps your problem is a simple fuel filter partly plugged.

Ok so I was doing some investigating today, it seems as though there are 2 fuel pressure regulators on my car. The normal one under the hood attached to the fuel rail, then what seems to be another one directly after the fuel pump. once again i am stumped

Ok so I was doing some investigating today, it seems as though there are 2 fuel pressure regulators on my car. The normal one under the hood attached to the fuel rail, then what seems to be another one directly after the fuel pump. once again i am stumped

tahts not an FPR, I believe its called the fuel damper.

• 3 weeks later...