HybridZ

need HELP fabricating new spoiler

Guest tom sixbey

Guest tom sixbey

i'm making my own zcar spoiler that (if i can make a good mold of it) i can offer for sale... once i finish sculpting it, how would i go about creating a mold that i could lay fiberglass in later?

BTW it looks sorta like the motorsport 3 piece spoiler, except it's one piece, and points forward at the corners. - i'll provide pictures once i have a final product...

Once you have your original part shaped to your satisfaction, then your ready to pull a mold. The mold material depends on how complex the original part is. The prefered material is a gel coated fiberglass mold, this will allow you to pull many parts before refurbishing the mold. If the original part has any areas of "negative draft", in other words any areas that return greater than 90 degrees, then you will need to use a silicone mold with a fiberglass "mother mold". The mother mold allows the part to hold its shape and the silicone liner allows you to demold parts with negative draft.

This is all in very broad terms and would definetly recommend you read up on the subject. Good luck with your project.

Guest tom sixbey

hmmm... i'll look for something like that here in memphis.. - ASSUMING i can actually get this darned thing straight. it's gonna wind up being a bondo sculpture before long.

BTW - terry, that reminds me - did you discover any especially useful techiniques for this stuff when you built your car?

ugg.gif <-- i've inhaled too much glass dust!!!!

Guest tom sixbey

sure - that would be great! - It seems i'll be free until saturday all week, so anytime is good. Post a time that's good for you. I can say for sure that i will be online at 8:00 CST tonight. i'll check to see if your online then.

Guest tom sixbey

its too bad i missed it... I'm probably going to hop over to barnes and noble and read some fiberglass books when i get back to memphis... I'll see you in the chat board...

Guest tom sixbey

that's what blueovalz and i were discussing last night... - as of now, i dont even have the shape exactly right. - as soon as i get some stuff to show you, i will. - until that time i will keep this topic alive...

my guess about the mold is that it will require at least 2 seperate molds.. one for the top of the spoiler, and one to catch the subtle curve of the hatchside mounting surface (my spoiler will mount flush to the deck). i'd have to bond these 2 molded pieces together to create the actual spoiler... I'll keep you posted.. - lemme know if you get any ideas...

• 1 month later...
Guest tom sixbey

GOOD news guys... - i have the "rough" shape of the spoiler almost completed, and i'm about ready to go to the final shaping phase... - it looks GREAT.... i'll post pictures ASAP - Terry, thanks for all the advice - it's getting there!

Guest tom sixbey

yeah - they've been taken but not developed - i'll try to get them on in a week or so.. - right now i'm too busy because of my motor situation (head bolt broken off in block). this is my daily driver, so i'm stressed to get it fixed right away.... - i'll keep you posted!