HybridZ

SBC to LS1 Conversion, What parts can be re-used?

I currently have an old school SBC and th350 in my 280z. I am collecting parts to do an LS1-T56 swap, and I am curious as to what can be re-used.

Thoughts:

Driveshaft? (it's a long nose th-350, so it's the same length as a t56, but is the mount position of the SBC / LS1 the same??)

- I had this built from an LS1-f-body shaft, so it's aluminum, and the slip joint is the same. 3150 U-joint mated to R200 flange

Tranny Crossmember?

Fuel tank? (stock 280 tank with external pump that will need upgraded)

Just wondering if anyone has done this "swap"

Thanks in advance!

When I swapped a TH350 into my car after running a T56, I was able to reuse the slip yoke since both T56 and TH350 are the same spline count. I have the shorter tail shaft TH350 so I had to get my shaft extended. If your trans is the same dimensions as a T56, once you've got the motor / trans installed I would throw it up in there to test the fitment. Might get lucky and not have to change it.

I use to run my stock 240Z fuel tank for a little while before I swapped to a fuel cell. I would imagine the 280's tank is better suited for fuel injection set ups. Just need a better pump, like a Walbro.

I also used the same X member with my TH350 as I used with the T56. Just had to drill a new hole in the member to accommodate the TH350 mount. And had to move the member further forward.

Before:

DSCN0296.JPG

After:

DSCN2076.JPG

Edited by ColtGT4g63

I currently have an old school SBC and th350 in my 280z. I am collecting parts to do an LS1-T56 swap, and I am curious as to what can be re-used.

Thoughts:

Driveshaft? (it's a long nose th-350, so it's the same length as a t56, but is the mount position of the SBC / LS1 the same??)

- I had this built from an LS1-f-body shaft, so it's aluminum, and the slip joint is the same. 3150 U-joint mated to R200 flange

The JCI LSx mount position is NOT the same as the JTR SBC position. The JCI sits alittle farther forward. Even if the same driveshaft can be reused unmodified, you'll still have to drill new holes to move the crossmember to its new home.

Tranny Crossmember?

JTR? If so, it can be reused for the T-56.

Fuel tank? (stock 280 tank with external pump that will need upgraded)

The 280z tanks are the best factory S30 to be used in EFI apps due to internal baffling. Just use a Walbro 255 inline pump in or near the stock location and you'll do fine.

Just wondering if anyone has done this "swap"

Thanks in advance!

I've done more than a few, if you have anymore questions, please let me know.

Edited by Cable

Colt and Cable, Thanks for the prompt responses! This is good info, keep it coming!

The crossmember is a JTR, So I should be able to re-use it, or fab it up a little ( I can be handy with a MIG)

• 4 weeks later...

Colt, where did you buy the piece that you adjust shifter linkage with? The one that bolts directly under the pan, on the drivers side of the transmission. I currently have a B&M Pro stick on my th350 in my sbc z, but I've been battling shifter linkage issues, using the stock "fork" thing to adjust with. Thanks!

I currently have a B&M Pro stick on my th350 in my sbc z, but I've been battling shifter linkage issues, using the stock "fork" thing to adjust with. Thanks!

I am running the Pro Stick with LSZ and it works great. I had to change the gate-plate though since I am running a 4L60e...

I am running the Pro Stick with LSZ and it works great. I had to change the gate-plate though since I am running a 4L60e...

Yeah, I have both the 3 and 4 speed gates. Other than the adjustment issues I've been having, its a great shifter.