HybridZ

running bad after doing spark plugs/cap/wires/rotor!!

Ok so i just bought a 1973 240z that has a 1978 280z motor in it, but has dual SU carbs. It sat for awhile, but runs alright, just hesitates at acceleration... Why??

also i did the plugs and cap/rotor/wires and now it runs even worse! to the point that it is really sputtering and hesitating while accelerating. i don't think the Duralast distributor cap is right for the car and can be causing this. any suggestions?

also the hood cable broke so now i'm going to have a hell of a time getting the hood back open. how can this be done?

check your spark plug wires and make sure they are going to the right ones. dont indulge into the hard stuff first the most simple items keep these engine running strong. trust i spent a month sorting out a starting problem just to find out my new plugs were foulded when flooded. most likely a spark issue since the items you change made such a difference in the way its running.

Yeah it's most likely not the proper cap or something... I'll put the old one back in along with the rotor... See how that does... Also the fuel filter looks like a snow globe when ya thump it... Possible this is causing my hesitating issue when taking off from an idle? O.o

Change your filter. Make sure firing order is right 15-36-24. Adjust su's to 1.5 turns out from seated on nozzle. Check timing set if needed. Pull plugs replace with br6es or what ever the factory plug is.

Edited by yetterben

also the hood cable broke so now i'm going to have a hell of a time getting the hood back open. how can this be done?

Yea, my hood cable was broke also when I got my 76 280, well actually just the handle inside the car. I bought a used cable on ebay or something, it was pretty easy to replace.

Oops, hmm, well as far as getting it open.....wow yea let me think about it and ill get back to you.

Edited by Headstrong280z

i have the same setup 240 with a 280, mine hestitates in the morning too when i first start it up, and i tried to take it for a drive earlier and it just wouldnt start my car didnt even try, i thought i needed a jump so i called up a friend, still nothing, think i might have the same problem, im gonna check in the morning, but if you figure it out, please help me out.

i have the same setup 240 with a 280, mine hestitates in the morning too when i first start it up, and i tried to take it for a drive earlier and it just wouldnt start my car didnt even try, i thought i needed a jump so i called up a friend, still nothing, think i might have the same problem, im gonna check in the morning, but if you figure it out, please help me out.

Our problems may be different. I figured out my duralast cap wasn't right for the car. The one that was on there fits snugly and was made especially for the car, not a universal p.o.s... Anyways, my problem most likely is dirty carbs from sitting so long. I think they need to be rebuilt but i know nothing at all about the SU carbs... They look like they are a pain in the --- to work on. Anyone have a step by step guid to tuning them? How bout with pictures? Or for rebuilding them? I would appreciate it very much