HybridZ

when spinning differential by hand how smooth should it feel?

icapture

hey guys. Recently I took apart my rear end in order to paint it. I took the differential cover off because it was leaking and needed to be re-sealed, but also because I wanted it a different color than the actual diff. housing. When I took the cover off I became curious with the gears inside and wondered how easy it would be to take them out. So I removed the four big bolts that hold those half C retainers in, then upon realizing that I wasnt gonna be able to remove the gears I installed the retainers and bolted everything back together.

Then when everything was back on the car and I spun the rear axles by hand I could really feel and hear the teeth inside the diff. Is this normal? Will it situate better once I put more miles on the car? Did I screw something up? Before I took the rear end apart I could still feel and hear the teeth inside the diff when spinning the axles by hand, but now it seems much more noticeable.

Am I gonna have to take this differential to a shop and have them throw shims in it?

Did you put the main bearing caps back on the way they came off? They are line bored with the caps in place, so if you flip one from side to side or top to bottom that could throw things off. I really don't know if that would change the way it felt spinning it by hand, but that's what I'd be worried about. If you didn't change the shims, then the shims aren't the problem.

Did you put the main bearing caps back on the way they came off? They are line bored with the caps in place, so if you flip one from side to side or top to bottom that could throw things off. I really don't know if that would change the way it felt spinning it by hand, but that's what I'd be worried about. If you didn't change the shims, then the shims aren't the problem.

Jon I am not sure if I put the main bearing caps back in the same place as they were when I took them off. I will switch them and see if there is any difference.

thanks

adam