HybridZ

Any tips on removing windshield?

Guest RON JONES

Guest Anonymous

I just removed a windshield yesterday from a junk Z rust bucket. The seals are are huge gaskets. The problem with trying to re-use a windshield gasket is that 9 times out of ten they will leak whe installed the second time. I totally cut around the outer gasket ring exposing the glass outer edge. My nephew got on one side and I on the other and we both pushed gently on the upper corners from inside the car. If all the gasket was properly cut, the windshield should slowly break free. Use cautin since the windshield may crack instead of break free. This windshield gasket or seal was as hard as a rock and was probably an original gasket. New gaskets are very pliable making windshield installation easy. It is easy to crack a windshield and expensive to replace. Years ago , I replaced a lot of windshields in Datsun pickups when the gaskets were still pliable and I had a lot of used replacement windshields. I broke a few. Unless I have a few extra windshields to draw from I would not even consider replacing one but if properly cutting the gasket to remove a windshield , I do not hesitate in removal. Call an expert and then you have crack insurance on a new windshield.

I've removed two Z windshields, and put one used one in with the old OE gasket. Lot's of trouble getting it to seal.

BTW, the chrome (actually stainless steel) trim is MUCH easier to get in the gasket after the gasket is on the glass, but before it's put in the car.

I had mine powdercoated semi-gloss black, along with the door and 1/4 window frames.

Guest Anonymous

I am by no means saying this is the correct way to do it, but I have been to the junkyard with my dad getting windsheilds MANY MANY times and I've never seen him break a window with this method. What he does is wrap the braided wire inside bicycle brake cables around a wrench, cut out some of the rubber seal, sticks the cable through, and wraps the other end around a wrench, then proceeds to pull on each end, pulling it towards him and away from the windsheild against the car, and for the bottom he would cut the seal away a little, push it out a little, cut more away, push it out a little more, and so on, and that has always worked for him. The day he tried to use the correct tool for removing windsheilds he broke one :D