HybridZ

RB20DET +VQ30 turbo has anyone hear done this?

ovenfood

hi while I'm not new to this forum I am new to turbo cars, I have started an RB20DET swap into a S130 (1983 RHD). I may be a bit to ambitious for the lack of knowledge I have of turbos and forced induction. I have done a fair amount of looking for answers but none of the ones i found seem to answer my questions.

my plan is to attach a VQ30DET turbo to my RB20DET from what i have heard its not "too hard" to attach it to the standard manifold you just need a spacer. But since i went out and bought one i have found that there is about 5 inch's between turbo inlet and manifold outlet and it seems odd to me to have a spacer that big.

what I would like to know is

has anyone done this mod?

is it going to be easier to make a custom manifold?

or can i get away wit using the standard manifold and make some sort of short pipe between the manifold and turbo?

any help is very appreciated.

It's a direct swap but that turbo will give you a bit more lag than the stock turbo.

how do you mean its a direct swap? because i can not seem to get it to fit on the stock manifold at all

i will post pictures soon to show you what i mean :>

this is my VQ30 turbo positioned as close as it can be if the mating surfaces are to be parallel

Photo030.jpg

and the standard turbo in position

Photo029.jpg

and this is the two turbos side by side (VQ30 turbo on the left and RB20 turbo on the right)

Photo023.jpg