HybridZ

Best SBC Starter?

Guest Anonymous

I like the nippondeso motors like the CVR from Jegs at $150. Most mini starters are the hitachi style motor (similar to the Z stock starter) Either will work fine. Just the nippondenso locates the solenoid underneath the motor further from the exhaust and has more gear reduction. Many of the new starters have multiple mount holes in the block plate so that the motor can be rotated for maximum clearance.

Yeah, I have a CVR now but it's not in yet. The JTR recommended LT1 starter could barely turn my motor over! $200 down the drain but I guess it's a good spare for theImapalla icon_sad.gif The CVR has a 4:1 reduction, I'll let everyone know how it goes...

Guest dankinzle

I have a 10.5 comp engine and a CSI gear red starter and it starts no problem. I did have to machine the mounting block on the starter down some though.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

iused one of GM's planatary gear reduction starters and no problems from a 13 to 1 engine on hot days and hot starts....if i remember it was for a 96 vette starter about 150 without core charge for a rebuilt one