HybridZ

Is anyone data logging with Carbs?

xonix_digital

Im posting to see if there is anyone who has set this up successfully on a carbureted L24.

Im trying to figure out how to log AFR/Lambda with RPMs. Nothing else is really necessary for my application.

I have found all kinds of information on recording AFR, and recording RPM from EFI/ECU setups but I have to figure a way to record the Pulse/Tach signal and output and output to a serial data connector.

I have seen some stuff from Innovate that will do it but i wanted to try and get a more affordable solution. Do you guys have any suggestions?

If you did set it up:

What modifications were needed? What products were used?

Are there any good resources that I have overlooked?

Thank you!

Edited by xonix_digital

I've done it on a carb'd V8 with a LM-1, and a rpm convertor. You need to weld a bung in the exhaust for the O2 sensor, and find a place to pick up the tach signal. I was using a MSD and used the tach output off the MSD.

jt

I've done it on a carb'd V8 with a LM-1, and a rpm convertor. You need to weld a bung in the exhaust for the O2 sensor, and find a place to pick up the tach signal. I was using a MSD and used the tach output off the MSD.

jt

What did you use for an RPM converter?

Im interested in concocting a homebrew datalogging setup but need to convert the standard Tach signal into something I can output to a serial port.

You could buy something like an arduino board if you aren't afraid of a little coding. I have done this myself and still have the code I had written which does this exact thing, turns the rpm signal into an RPM and sends through the virtual serial port (USB) to a program I had written in VB to receive the RPM and display it.

You could buy something like an arduino board if you aren't afraid of a little coding. I have done this myself and still have the code I had written which does this exact thing, turns the rpm signal into an RPM and sends through the virtual serial port (USB) to a program I had written in VB to receive the RPM and display it.

Wow Evil_datto thats awesome! Would you be willing to send me your files? I hadn't even considered Arduino but it sounds like exactly what I am looking for.

I have worked with VB in the past (6.0 lol) and would really benefit a lot from reading through your code.

Let me know man. Thanks for posting!

You can use my Megajolt Lite JR box.... I built it for crank fire ignition but I think I screwed up somewhere on the board and it won't send a signal to the coils. It does however read an RPM signal, and it has a 0-5v input option which it can log on a graph. I bought the board with the TPS option rather then the MAP so you can also log your TPS on the carbs which is useful for some systems when only certain jets are open at a certain throttle percentage so you know which ones to adjust. The TPS, RPM, and 0-5v input work, just not the output to trigger the coils so its useless to me, unless you want to use it for what you're needing...