HybridZ

Creation of DIY Urethane S30 Engine Mounts

I know there are JDM motor mounts and transmission mounts that are stiffer than stock. I've seen DIY approaches to drilling out the stock rubber and replacing it with urethane (80A liquid urethane). Has anyone done this?

Here's an example:

http://elantragtclub.tripod.com/elantra/id557.html

I could see doing the same thing to the motor mounts and transmission mounts for my 240Z. Any comments on this approach? The stock rubber mounts seem very soft.

the S30 engine mounts are solid bricks, in most cases, so this approach would not work. In fact, most of the mounts for the transmission are solid bricks too, at least the ones I've seen and used.

It's a U-piece shaped metal bracket with rubber inserted ... it's only attached (the rubber) on the bottom so it really flexes. This JDM mount looks like they added urethane and made it attached on 3 sides instead of just the bottom. They claim it's 50% stiffer than stock, but it's $175 ... and I can get the materials for a DIY approach for about $20.

post-1627-011271400 1277479046_thumb.jpg

I too am working on this situation. I may have to go the route of these 260+shipping mounts. I think these are the Kameari engine mounts correct?

I actually bought the brand new 240Z engine mounts and just looked under my car a week ago and found that they are starting to tear the engine mounts apart. I do have a 240HP SR20DET engine in there, but I can't imagine how bad this will be when I drop the new turbo and injectors in there making 340 - 390 HP. I don't want to have to replace my engine mounts all the time!! :(