HybridZ

wiring an electric fuel pump in a 72

datjunky

Ok.. I dont get on this site much these days.. but i did search. i just put an 81 motor in my 72. rather than drilling out the head to accept a mechanical pump, im opting for an electric. i followed the recommendation for the rx7 pump. its mounted by the tank near the "mystery electric pump supply wires", that currently do not have power to them. ive put 12v to the pump, it works, and the motor runs! ive found the "t" connector near the radio area, and with a continuity tester, ive confirmed continuity from this "t" to the factory "unused" wiring. ive also confirmed power to the "t" connector at the radio area. my question is.. what do i need to do with that "t" to get power back to the pump wires? the "t" is plugged in to its corresponding plug, but i dont get power back to the pump wires. also, is there a "factory" relay that is incorporated into this circuit? what else do i need to do, other than getting power to the "factory" supply wires. someone please send a link or some simple answers to get this car up and going!!

thanks guys!

Jason

It's a straight power up from a fuse tap to that wire. A fuse in the line is a good idea.

Even better is incorporating a Ford Fuel Cutoff/Rollover Switch (resettable) so if you get in an accident or roll over the pump stops. They were in most Ford Products and if you get one out of the Tempo/Topaz from the trunk area, you can salvage a good 8 feet of heavy gauge wiring to boot! They are also in the passenger's footwell on Ford Ranger pickup trucks under the floor mat near the firewall. Black Box with a red button on top, can't miss it.

I use that existing wiring to trigger a relay at the back of the car which is hooked to a #10 wire running back from the battery lead (fused). This gives me full battery voltage, with a safety relay provision and modern impact/rollover safety.

But the wire under the dash just need to be hooked to hot source key-on. It's a direct uninterrupted shot, no relays nothin'!

Edited by Tony D