HybridZ

Straight 6 to 350 Chevy: Days 1, 2, and 5

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Well, I figured you guys may like to know whats going on with me and my future V8 ZX. I say days 1, 2, and 5 because I skipped 3 and 4 icon_razz.gif

Anyways, I've got the head all unbolted, and the intake manifold all unbolted. One problem...The intake manifold wouldnt come off! I've tried and tried and tried, but it won't budge. What did I do? Unbolt the exhaust manifold from the exhaust pipes of course! Lift the entire thing off! One more problem...Those 3 bolts are on there TIGHT!!! Couldn't get em off, so I got the help from a Stanley 17mm box end wrench, a rusted out crowbar, and a Larin hydraulic jack...I'll let you figure that out icon_razz.gif . The jack/crowbar/wrench combination didn't work on the last bolt, the one closest to the head, so I had to use that same wrench, a pair of Craftsman leather gloves, and a 1980's (not quite sure of year, but I think its an 87) Dodge Caravan. Put wrench on bolt, put hands on wrench, put both feet on Dodge Caravan, PUSHED WITH ALL MY MIGHT!!! Well, I got it off, but it was on there SO tight, and I pushed SO hard, I snapped the head off!!! Got a few cuts and scrapes here and there, but all in all I had a fun time, despite the aggravation those bolts caused me. Why so little work in such a long period of time? I wake up at 5:00PM, and don't get a chance to do anything till about 6:00 which doesn't leave me much time to do anything, so my dads gonna wake me up at 12:00 tomorrow so I can get a normal schedule from now on (And so we can go to the junkyard and find a windsheild and a rear window)

If all I did was annoy you by posting this, speak up...You won't hurt my feelings icon_razz.gif

Guest Anonymous

Heh, I feel your pain. My 240z had the inline 6 exhaust manifold bolts so frozen I broke two off, and finaly since the third wasn't budging, I split the exhaust at a slip joint about halfway down and pulled it with the frigging exhaust.. haha.. I was on that one bolt with a big air impact. Nothing, forget it, was'nt happening... icon_smile.gif

Good luck and don't lose your happy thoughts.... icon_wink.gif

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

Air tools really help speed things up, for bolts that don't need a specific torque (be careful, its easy to pop the heads right off a bolt with them if your not careful as you might imagine.). I highly recommend a air chisel as well, it makes such short work of the stock trans mounts in the tunnel its not funny. I used a cheap Chinese air chisel and its performed perfectly (all of what 10.00 bucks at H-F....). Also a die grinder is another indispensible thing to have. A cut off wheel on it helps trim things really quickly and you can always use it to port things if you feel up to the task. Yep, air tools rule... icon_smile.gif

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

Well, I only have a little blue toolbox full of tools (well, its about 2 feet wide by 10 inches deep by 8 inches tall), a lotta motivation, and a whole house full of hillbilly inginuity :P

Yeah, air tools are pretty darned indespensable once you start using them. Just being able to rotate your tires in five minutes flat is worth the cost!

One air tool accessory that I consider indespensable is a good pair of earplugs. The whine of a die grinder will make short work of your hearing, if you're not careful.

And James, keep on posting these updates! I love hearing how other folks are doing on their rides. It convinces me that there IS hope at the end of the tunnel! icon_smile.gif

Tunnel? There is a tunnel? All I see is a very large mountain I have to go over or around. So now that I have gotten all this climbing gear I find out that there is a tunnel. icon_eek.gif

Is a long tunnel and can I see the end?

Don

icon_wink.gif

[ August 25, 2001: Message edited by: Dp351zcar ]