HybridZ

240z with a 280z gas tank?

Simple:

1)Take the locking ring off both tanks.

2)Remove the sending units.

3)Install the 240Z sender into the 280Z tank.

4)Wires are now correct for the chassis, no cutting required. (You do not have a 'low fuel' capacitance sensor to light the light that is not in your 240Z dash anyway.)

Comprende Amigo? :mrgreen:

• 3 months later...

Maybe it's the black wire that should be ground?

The 240 does have ground and power on the connector and the wires all tend to have the same color back there after the years take their toll.

The circuit, btw is on the ground side, the 'power' wire is actually the ground side of the gauge movement. The sender regulates the ground for the gauge and that is how you register fuel level.

One wire is directly grounded to the chassis though. That keeps the sender which technically floats on that rubber o-ring, connected securely to ground of the chassis. The wire harness is grounded back there as well so there should be a decent ground path. Cleaning that ground point back there on the chassis should brighten up your tail lights as well!

tony, there are 2 wire one yellow and one black, which one is + i belive the yellow correct? i got a test light and I got no power from neither one of them, where does the fuel sending unit get power from? is there a fuse somewhre in the car?

Edited by juan240z

You need to download the FSM and look at the wiring diagram. What happens to the gauge when you ground the yellow wire against the chassis---it should move one way all the way. When you remove it from ground it should go back the other way (whichever that was)...

If it doesn't there's either a break in the line or no power to the front of the circuit (or a bad gauge)...

You need to follow the circuit on the FSM wiring diagram, this one is not one I can do from memory!