HybridZ

Clutch Won't Disengage

meijerbrantm

So, I toasted a l28et in my 240z (with a 4 speed). So I picked up a junk yard motor. My centerforce clutch was slipping pretty hard so I decided to just use the stock clutch that was on the motor for now until I picked up a new clutch. So, motor is in starts up runs and is great. I push the clutch in, it has pressure, and can't get it into gears, grinds everywhere. So I went to the slave cylinder to adjust and the slave is already adjusted as far out as it can go (I'm assuming I got this right, the further the fork from the cylinder the further out it's adjusted right?). The clutch pedal still feels like it has normal travel and what not. From what I read, I should be able to interchange trans from a 280zx and my 240z without any other changes using a clutch for the l28et. I just don't know why I can't get the clutch to disengage, which is why I'm here asking for some ideas. So... any ideas?

oh also, before I pulled the motor, I never had problems engaging the centerforce clutch whatsoever, it'd just slip in 3rd and 4th under hard acceleration.

Edited by meijerbrantm

the centerforce clutch is for an l28et so the throw out bearing should have already been for an l28et

I forgot throw out bearing "collar"

Don't forget if you convert to a 240mm clutch and you have a S30 tranny, you need to use the 280ZXT TOB collar.

4tobear_specs1a.jpg

Also, I don't know how you 'adjusted' the slave, it's got two bolts and shouldn't move at all once installed. I would suggest replacing the slave as well and re-bleeding it.

Edited by flatblack280

Again, I swapped an l28et out for l28et... meaning the car was already setup for an l28et clutch, meaning it had the appropriate throw out bearing and collar. So, that should be over-ruled should it not?

Also, The slave it has a flat head end on one side, and two locking bolts right? one on the inside threads and one on the outside threads. I was saying i adjusted it to it's maximum length that it could do and have no clutch disengaging...

Since it's a junk yard motor,that may have sat for a while.........

The clutch disk may be STUCK to the flywheel. I've seen it happen before.

Try stepping on the clutch,put in top gear, then crank with starter, park brake on.

May break loose.

Or, start car in 1st gear, get it roliing fast,step on clutch pull up park brake,and maybe some gas . :)

Ive never found definite answers. The collors are different the forks are different, the distance from fly wheel to outer finges of pressure plate can be different.

So cut 2 holes in the bell housing, one for you one for flash light and take a look.

I will tell you this, I upgraded from a 225 to a 240mm flywheel. Bought a beck arnly turbo clutch/pressure plate and throw out bearing and installed it on my 83 zx (stock). No problems. So this set up worked for me. The "catch" was a little fast at frist then become better quickly. Ive done a few smokies and seems to hold fine. Been over a year now.

Got it from shucks/orillys.