HybridZ

urithane stripper not worth a crap!!

utvolman99

I recently bought a front air dam from ebay. When I got it it was painted white and had some paint cracks. I used a paint stripper for flexable parts and it doesnt work worth a crap! Has anyone used a urithane stripper that actually works?? I need something bad. I have damaged the paint to the point that I must strip it now! I have worked for about two hours had have stripped a 6"x6" space!

Guest Anonymous

I would try to use a DA sander and smooth out what imperfections that are there and then use a primer with a flex agent and block and prime and block and prime over and over until it's all smooth and then paint it.

Guest Anonymous

Some strippers (paint) will not work well in cold weather, that is below 70 degrees. Try leaving the part out in the sun the next time it is near 80 and try the srtipper when the part is warm. Mark

Guest Anonymous

Get your local paint store to advise you. They may have a sealer you could apply prior to priming that will prevent any reactions from subsequent paint coats.

Make sure that it's an automotive paint store that you get your information from. Many of the "retail paint" stores are unfamilar with the "automotive" side of paints. Once in a while you can find someone who has some knowledge, however, unless they have first hand knowledge you could be opening a can of worms for yourself.

You can also contact PPG, Ditzler Corp, or some of the automotive paint manufacture representatives. Usually, they are more than happy to offer solutions to your delemas. Especially, if you are a potential prospective purchaser. Depending on the damaged area (6"x6") that you mentioned, feathering the edges, and building up the primer is a viable alternative. It's a lot of work, but it can be done. Check with the paint rep. before you get in over your head! Good luck.

Comps,

2thumbs.gif Van