HybridZ

weber 45's

SHRALP_GNAR

I just picked up a set of weber 45's from a fellow hybridZ-ers stroker set up for my 73. Sooner or later i want to build up a stroker engine but for now I'm hoping to choke the carbs down to use on my l24.

Now,i'm well aware that 45's are WAY TOO BIG for a stock l24, but I'm not really sure how stock my engine is. The block is clearly an L24 and the head is a rebuilt N47(of some sort). The previous owner bought it from someone who had just rebuilt the engine and then it rolled backwards down a hill into a tree. The guy never got around to fixing it up so i got it cheap and i fixed it up. The moral of the story is the engine is kind of a mystery. It's running so good so i don't want to spend the time pull the head off and examine everything. The lift on the cam measured .460. could be a mellow re-grind. not sure about the duration.

....anyways, I bolted the webers on and it fired right up, idled at 1000, and revved up to 7000 without popping out the front or the back. It was a little sputtery under 3000 when it was cold. I stuck the colortune on and the mixture looked almost spot on as well. Just a slightly on the rich side under WOT. It was a bit of a shock that they worked so well without touching them.

I later noticed that two of the Auxiliary venturi's were broken out. They were also mixed sizes. 3 were 5's and the other 3 were 4,5's. the rest of the jets are consistant.

So i took it for a little spin and it drove like a happy snappy little sports car unless the engine was under a load or going up hill. The power would flatten out. My brother is pretty weber savy and he thinks i'm leaning out under load. I also got some good lean pops going down hill so that kinda adds up. But my question is (finaly) Do you think this is a case of my engine just being to small to get those carbs going or the lack of having consistent venturi's? I obviously need to install some new parts but would the lack of 2 auxiliary venturi's and the others not matching cause the power to flatten out?

....Sorry, this turned into more of a story that a question.

• 3 weeks later...

135 mains

180 airs

f16 emulsion tubes

34mm chokes

5 aux venturis

55f2 idles.

The car is running very well now except for a little bit of a stumble at sustained throttle. After setting the throttle plates i found out that the last owner tried to re-profile one of the mixture screws and did not do a good job at it. it is about 1.5mm shorter than the rest now and wont fully close so i'm not going to get my mixtures right until it's replaced.