HybridZ

Glue used as chassis reinforcements

Wedge

Hi everyone I was wondering if anyone heard or used 3M body panel adhesive on their cars ? I am asking this because I am wondering if it could be used as a chassis reinforcement instead of spot welding the intire engine bay . Shock towers,frame rail,fire wall etc I would just open up the overlaped sheet metal then clean the sealer and then glue . Would it be as good or better then spot welds ? I know for sure it would reduce creaks and crack sounds for the car but would it reinforce it or not ?

Thank you .

Hi everyone I was wondering if anyone heard or used 3M body panel adhesive on their cars ? I am asking this because I am wondering if it could be used as a chassis reinforcement instead of spot welding the intire engine bay . Shock towers,frame rail,fire wall etc I would just open up the overlaped sheet metal then clean the sealer and then glue . Would it be as good or better then spot welds ? I know for sure it would reduce creaks and crack sounds for the car but would it reinforce it or not ?

Thank you .

The flanges are already spot welded here and there, how are you going to "just open up" the sheetmetal? The 3M body panel adhesive is great stuff, but I don't think this would be a good use for it.

I would just open up the overlaped sheet metal then clean the sealer and then glue

Piece a cake. Just pry open the seams, slather in the glue, pound the seams flat again, and wipe up the excess glue. Oh wait, there's that bending fatigue thing that steel is subject to, not to mention the new "rippled look" of your entire car.

Probably not a good idea.

Piece a cake. Just pry open the seams, slather in the glue, pound the seams flat again, and wipe up the excess glue. Oh wait, there's that bending fatigue thing that steel is subject to, not to mention the new "rippled look" of your entire car.

Probably not a good idea.

I get your point about fatigue in the metal if you pry it but then how would someone remove the sealant if they want to stitch weld the shock towers if not by prying it open remove the stuff the reweld ? I guess you could drill out the spot weld then remove the shock tower clean everything up then reinstall reweld .

A torch with mild heat does the trick, then scrape it off. You won't get every last bit, but they put the seam sealer on after it's been welded, so there is only so much actually between the 2 layers of metal. Then stich weld it up. Make sure you move around a lot to disperse the heat.