HybridZ

R200 Swap-thought I had read everything?

Bobby_Lee

History

I have an early 260Z that came with an auto trans and R180 3:545 diff. One of the first things I did was swap out the auto for a four speed that I had from a donor car. Fast forward a year or two and decide I want to do the R200 swap. Started reading the various forums about it and went ahead and got the parts I needed and an R200 that I thought was from a 280ZX. I purchased a OBX lsd for it as well. And yes, my gears arrived backward also. So I installed the OBX (after cleaning and insuring the gears were in the proper orientation), new side bearings, seals and gaskets. I start assembling and never thinking I may not have a match between the diff flange and my drive shaft yoke. Hhmmm not even close. So after some further investigating (Thanks again HybridZ forums)I was able to find out that apparently my R200 was from a 300ZX (thanks to a post by howler monkey) So am I correct that I now need a drive shaft yoke from a 300ZX? And that will fit on my 260Z drive shaft? Or do I change out the differential flange? Can I drill the R200 flange to the 260's yoke pattern (I have access to a machine shop)? I'm almost there..........

Thanks ahead of time In the photo....... 260Z flange on the left 300ZX flange on the right

Bobby

IMG_0052.jpg

Edited by Bobby_Lee

History

I have an early 260Z that came with an auto trans and R180 3:545 diff. One of the first things I did was swap out the auto for a four speed that I had from a donor car. Fast forward a year or two and decide I want to do the R200 swap. Started reading the various forums about it and went ahead and got the parts I needed and an R200 that I thought was from a 280ZX. I purchased a OBX lsd for it as well. And yes, my gears arrived backward also. So I installed the OBX (after cleaning and insuring the gears were in the proper orientation), new side bearings, seals and gaskets. I start assembling and never thinking I may not have a match between the diff flange and my drive shaft yoke. Hhmmm not even close. So after some further investigating (Thanks again HybridZ forums)I was able to find out that apparently my R200 was from a 300ZX (thanks to a post by howler monkey) So am I correct that I now need a drive shaft yoke from a 300ZX? And that will fit on my 260Z drive shaft? Or do I change out the differential flange? Can I drill the R200 flange to the 260's yoke pattern (I have access to a machine shop)? I'm almost there..........

Thanks ahead of time In the photo....... 260Z flange on the left 300ZX flange on the right

Bobby

IMG_0052.jpg

Yes. I drilled new holes into my flange. I have a R200 out of a Q45, and re drilled it to accommodate the drive shaft yoke pattern. My flanges are just like yours.