HybridZ

Pics of the hood louvers

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Okay, go to my link a click on the "Louvers" folder.

This is all still experimental. I think the air flows out of the engine compartment too fast. Haven't noticed a big improvement in cooling, but I have some ideas on that and will post when it's finished.

Jon

Guest Anonymous

How did you make the louvers? I am really interested. I do not know much about air flow but would consider getting the most air in and out as fast as possible would be the best solution to cooling . Tell us about the louvers. I know about the duct.

Guest greimann

Nice work!

I'm a little unclear about your statement that you think the air flows out too fast. In a convection cooling situation, the more flow the better.

Guest Anonymous

Dudes,

Jon's car really is impressive. Of all the hybrid's there (rio vista) (and there were other super looking hybrid's there), Jon's was my favorite, the ram air system, and underhood is amazing. Very nice job, and the red color in person is stunning.

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the kind words y'all.

The louvers are simply made from 22 gauge aluminum, as individual "slats". Simple geometry to get the angle. Primed and painted then bonded to the under side of a cut-out in the hood. It was easy, took a Saturday afternoon. I can feel the fan blowing out through the vents.

Anyway, the reason I feel they may not be as effective is this: There's a 1.5--2 x 9" gap between the hood and the top of the radiator (where the buldge is). My thought is the vortex created by the vents directly sucks out that incoming air doing a great job of cooling my airbox. Of course it's better than not having them, but I feel that sealing off the gap above the radiator will cause more of the incoming air to pass around the lower part of the engine and headers first, before exiting and therefore do a better job.

I can get the paint code off the can (I think) but right off the bat the Auto Paint supply matched it and called color "Vermillion" made by PPG. They did a great job matching also. I'll try to get more info on that.

Jon

Guest Anonymous

Georgia Flash, these are the numbers off the label on top of the can:

VOC: 4.1/% Lead:0.00/MSDS.CLV1

Tinting Guide:CLV75669ALT SC

DMC900 38.1 DT885 106.5

DMC903 7.2

DMC911 396.6

DMC987 411.4

DXC999 110.0

Hope it helps.

Jon

Guest Anonymous

Oh, and I think it's what folks are calling one stage paint. Acrylic Urethane, PPG Concept LV.

I don't know if it's what the car was originally painted with, but like I said, it matches perfect.

The sticker on front of the can reads:

CLV75669ALT SC

Vermillion

Jon