HybridZ

Headlight Harness Problem

walton99

Howdy yall, well here's my dilemma. I was installing an H4 conversion last night and decided to make up my own upgraded headlight harness using relays. Now I've done this a couple of times before on different vehicles that I've owned so I didn't think that it would be too difficult. The concept is pretty simple, use the stock low beam wire to trip the low beam relay and the high beam for the high beam relay. Pretty simple right? Wrong, at least for me. On the stock plug it appears that when the low beams are triggered two of the wires for the stock plug are hot and one is the ground, while on high beams only one of the aforementioned wires is receiving 12V. Something like this:

Low

ground

_______

xxxxx lxxxxxxxl

x +12 lxxxxxxxl +12

xxxxx lxxxxxxxl

High

ground

_______

lxxxxxxxl

lxxxxxxxl +12

lxxxxxxxl

This is looking at the terminals on the plug, so a reverse of what it would be on the bulb. The ground wire on both sides is brown and the other two are black with some variation of stripes, orange and red and green (I think)

So what can I do to actually make a relay harness for this car? As no single wire controls the low and high separately I'm at a bit of a loss. Thanks for your time

Double check but it should only be one or the other for +12V otherwise both elements would be on when your low beams are on and I'm assuming that's not the actual case. Make sure both bulbs are disconnected when you test the voltages.