HybridZ

stupid question about frame rails

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

....everyone who i've ever talked to (who seemed to know what they were talking about) told me what a big and expensive job redoing the frame rails and under carriage is.....i have no doubt about that...

...i realize some pieces would be hard to fabricate w/o sheet metal tools....and the thin metal is prbly hard to weld...but jeez...

....why couldnt you just rip some 2 1/2 electrical conduit (what ever size is big enough to go over the rails)....weld it over them... then cut the old ones out w/tin snips,por-15 it and say to hell w/it....i would think emt galvanized conduit would be pretty stout...

...i'm sure there's certainly something i'm missing here (forgive my ignorance)...and of course if the body was already malformed well i can see a prob there..but otherwise i doesnt seem like it should cost so much (or be so hard)except you have body people (who have more expertise than may? be needed)do it instead of a heating/air tinner......and a welder...

...i would think an airframe/powerplant tech could do it too (and do a damned good job)...

...what all is involved w/replacing the underneath of these cars? .....thanks,

s.neihoff

It's 830 PM and I'm still at work, but I feel I need to answer this one now...

RacerX, thanks for the kudos. It's very rewarding to hear compliments like this, especially from an obviously knowledgeable car builder and body and paint expert!

Updated photos are days if not a week or two away. If I can get out of work enough before Friday night, and things go well, the last little bits to get the car exterior and a bit of interior finished to make it driveable will allow me to drive the thing, do a several hundred mile shakedown and head WEST to the MSA show no later than Tuesday AM. I know that's nuts and it probably won't happen, but that's my plan. Anyway, once I get it all together on the exterior and get it out of the garage, I'll shoot some pics and post them.

How did I pick the Z? Well, I'd had a 70 Camaro, a 68 Nova, and I wanted something that handled. Back in 1980 or so one of the HOTROD type mags had and article about the ScarabZ and I fell in love. I had a bud that knew a Z fanatic and he helped me find my Z. That was in 1981. This is the same car that I ended up building finally. That's my Z story.

Guest Anonymous

my gosh pete,

..how do you get enough time to (get to)do all of that?....plus you do a lot here too...i have seen "parts" of your website...in diffrerent places...but not the whole thing...

...you certainly have a good reason to be proud of the job you've done...the amount of time and labor (not to mention $$$)must be incredible...

..it will certainly be an exceptionable car...

...if i could get to the point where i felt like the rear end wasnt going to shoot out in front me while i'm driving down the road i'd be pretty happy (always bad when the rear end goes faster than the rest of the car)....s

Guest Anonymous

Pete's Z, and I think I've mentioned this to him before, is show quality and a well thought out hybrid. Much attributed I think, to his engineering background, desire to do it right the first time... and incredible patience! Much to aspire to there. Pete's documentation as well as other founding fathers of Hybrid Z (Terry-Blueoval-comes to mind) have inspired and shown many of us the way. hail.gif

That said, it gives you an idea of what's involved in the mechanics of each endeavor ie. subframe connectors/frame rails. If you have to hire someone to do it, it'll be hella expensive. If you can weld, cut and figure out simple geometry, you can do it for pennies on the dollar. It would pay to buy yourself a welder (MIG or gasless wirefed) and teach yourself how to weld. Once you can weld you can do just about anything.

Based on what I've read here I was able to (summon up the courage, really) to just go for it. I went to the local Orchard supply and bought the sheet metal, and Sawzall. Went to an iron salvage yard and bought the 2x2" square tubing. And then just started cutting. Once you get into it you can see how simple it really is. Took one weekend per side. Materials cost maybe $50 (the tools will be amortized over the entire project and then some so they aren't figured in the cost). And the satisfaction of doing it yourself is priceless.

I hope I'm not preaching here malebitchslap.gif , but if you put some thought into your work you CAN'T really screw-up your Z beyond repair. You might have to redo something and it'll take more time and it just might not look that pretty if you screw-up. But it won't destroy the car. If cost is an issue just take your time.

Heck, I'm looking at mine as one big experiment. So far, IMO it's turning out great. I'm cutting up my hood now so when I get to really finishing the body work I'll know what I really want to do and how to do it.... or how not to do it.

Fun hobby, EH? :D

Regards. 2thumbs.gif

Jon

Originally posted by theschmaydee:

my gosh pete,

..how do you get enough time to (get to)do all of that?....plus you do a lot here too...i have seen "parts" of your website...in diffrerent places...but not the whole thing...

...It's called burned the candle at both ends and in the middle! Seriously, I've been going on 5-6 hours of sleep for years, and for the past month, it's been more like 3.5-5 hours a night. You see, the kids are in bed by 9, the wife can't last past 10 most nights, and well, I never learned how to go to bed at a decent hour - I just can't turn it off! Too much fun stuff to do!

(BTW, it's 930 PM and I've been at the office since 8:30 AM - deadlines baby!)

...you certainly have a good reason to be proud of the job you've done...the amount of time and labor (not to mention $$$)must be incredible...
Yes, lots of time, labor and $$$. And I'm not exactly proud of spending lots of any of those 3 things in the garage either! You see, one day, I WILL be certified as crazy. Most people who know me figured out a long time ago that I'm just not "right". :D I'm only half kidding here guys - ask Mikelly, DavyZ, Alsil, Michael - they've met me and they can vouch for my self-analysis :D

..it will certainly be an exceptionable car...
Thanks!

...if i could get to the point where i felt like the rear end wasnt going to shoot out in front me while i'm driving down the road i'd be pretty happy (always bad when the rear end goes faster than the rest of the car)....s
Sounds like you're having fun!

Jon, thanks again for the compliments. But that little bit above is the reason that the car has too much time, labor, and $$$ for a sane person to put into a car. So this sickness that I have resulted in a car you guys (and I) like. That's cool - I wish more mental illnesses had an up side :D .

But if I had it all to do again, my Z would be very different - mostly thanks to all the good ideas I've learned here at HybridZ!

Gotta finish up a few things and go see the wife at home!