HybridZ

Bugger, praying to Zgods (long)

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

OK a little update on the 305 Zee i bought:

We got the car started, but it was hard to turn over. We checked the battery connections, made sure they were tight and needed a jump start a few times to get it going. Seems that it wont hold a charge very well? icon_confused.gif

After it was running WITHOUT white smoke coming out like before, we drove it for 2 hours back to my house/emmissions centre from the seller's house. Afterwards we had to wait an hour in line for emmisions at idle, PASSED emmissions! icon_biggrin.gif

BUT after passing it, the car overheated and the resevoir tank boiled over. Also, after emmisions the car wouldnt shift, and we lost total pressure in the clutch pedal. When the car is off we're able to shift thru all the gears but when its on we cant shift worth #$@! and the clutch pedal is gone again.. icon_eek.gif

icon_cool.gif first beer to neone who can help?

Jon

AS far as shifting, when the car is not running, their is no dynamic action in the trans and it can go into gear, but when running it's like trying to shift without a clutch if the hydraulics are gone. Check for a leak as well as proximity to the exhaust of the slave cylinder.

Slave or master is dead, perhaps all of the fluid is gone?

#1 - check fluid level in master.

#2 - check for fluid leak at slave and master.

#3 - when pressing the pedal doe the slave move at all?

#4 - tell us what the slave looks like and what trans this is. Black plastic slave or what?

Fixing th eclutch thing shoudln't be too bad but we need to know more information IMO.

This happened to me on my Z when I first bought it with the 6. It CAN be driven sans clutch but it's best done with minimal stops and NO traffic. My incident occured in rush hour bumper to bumper so a rollback trip was in order. Turns out my slave was dead, $20 part for a stock Z.

No clutch driving goes like this if you wish to attempt it: place car in 1st gear, push pedal down if it's got a neutral start switch, crank car - it WILL lurch! Use the starter to get to where you've got some room, press down gas pedal, crank, HANG ON! Car should start and you're now running in first. icon_smile.gif Get up to shift speed, make that a slightly higher than normal shift speed - as this RPM comes up lightly pull back on the stick and let off the gas at the same time. As th eenginetrans unloads it'll slip out of gear, it should pop into NEUTRAL. In NEUTRAL give it a little gas to rev it up a LITTLE and lightly hold it against the 2nd gear gate. As the RPM drops down to where it would be in 2nd at this particular vehicle speed it'll drop right into second as things synch up in the trans. Rinse and repeat for each gear. Get good enough and you can let off the gas and slip it right into the next gear icon_biggrin.gif

Stopping: Step on brake in gear, allow car to die - it WILL buck and lurch! Or pull it into neutral and turn it off after you've stopped. Put it in first and start as before - caution, leave some room between you and the car ahead of you when starting! Consider starting in second.

Downshifting: Same as upshifting but when going into th enext gear down rev engine up a bit high as it'll want higher RPMs in the lower gear thna it did in the higher one.

Consider using your hazards while doing this or being followed by someone who knows what's up. A rollbackwrecker is MUCH safer! However when I last had to do this it was good enough to get me to a safe place to park rather than the side of the highway. I once had to do this for over 100miles of mostly highway driving when a clutch cable snapped in the Mustang - it sucked!

Be aware, this is HARD on both the starter and the transmission. The starter should live if you don't have to use it over an dover without time to cool, the trans should be okay so long as you use a light touch and don't try to cram it into gear.

Good luck! Let us know what radiator and fan it has on it and what it's got for coolant. The overheating thing shoudln't be too bad to fix unless it's got a real problem.