HybridZ

Borg Warner T5 3rd Gear sounds like reverse gear.

Icehound

I took the car out for its first test drive last night; it has a newly rebuilt T5. All of the gears on the T5 make a normal sound except the 3rd gear which wines like a typical reverse gear on most stick shifts. Does anyone know what would cause this, and is it something I should be worried about, that is will this sort of noise go away given time? The gear seems to work normally - I think, for I am new to the T5.

Thanks

Dave

Who rebuilt it? 3rd gear is the first ratio on the mainshaft (right behind the input) and if the input/main shaft is not shimmed correctly and rebuilt correctly it will make noise. Best guess is someone half assed it and put new bearings in and did not re-shim or didn't touch the bearing between the main shaft and the input.

Thanks for the reply. It was done by Deans Transmission on 4th Ave. in downtown Seattle. The fellow is used to working on the mustang version and we had to send it back to him once since he shipped it to us with a ford input shaft instead of a Nissan one - the mistake could have been done then. Would it still be drivable? -D

I just added a cut away for reference...

post-4193-087601300 1280514714_thumb.jpg

Edited by Icehound

I'm not sure what he speced the clearances too on the trans and what they are in relation to a ford T5 since one of the big differences on the two is the input shaft. You'd have to ask him what he set the lash for. I'd run the box if it was a little (read a thou or two) loose, but if it's tight compared to FSM specs (you're going to need the S130 turbo i think 1983 fsm has it, xenonZ31 website should) I wouldn't run it since the box will get hot in any gear but 4th.

Thanks for the help Bob. Just one more thing if you don't mind, does the mechanism have a plunge release for reverse on the T5, that is do you have to push down and then pull back to put the transmission into reverse?

Dave

• 1 year later...