HybridZ

CFDF weights stuck under the PP

letitsnow

100731_175015.jpg

100731_175306.jpg

Ok, the clutch pedal felt funny, like something was binding up as you pressed it, occasionally you could hear a POP as you let it out and everything felt normal for a while. Driving the clutch held fine under boost from a roll, but it slipped bad on a hard launch, only did that twice(separate occasions, after trying other things to fix it) before I pulled it out. It could never muster enough grip to chirp the tires from a dead stop.

It's a little hard to see, but the weights that are stuck are holding 3-4 of the fingers fully depressed. There are a few hot spots on the other side on both the FW and the PP. There is a slight amount of unusual wear on the disc. When I pulled the PP I had to pop the weights free using a screwdriver. It looked good enough that I put it back together. I removed the weights thinking I'd try my luck like that, but just before I went to put the tranny in I compared the TOB collar with the one from my 225mm n/a 280z clutch, they were they same. It appears that the previous owner(the one who installed the clutch) used a 225mm TOB collar, not a 240mm collar. According to my research, the 225mm piece is taller than the 240mm piece(1.52 compared to 1.36, roughly). Could this have led to the diaphragm of the PP being over extended allowing the weights to get stuck underneath? If it could, then I'll put the weights back on because it sounds like these clutches need all the help they can get, especially because an IC will be added soon and the boost turned up.

When installing this motor/tranny I noticed that I had to compress the slave much farther than I did with the 225mm setup that my old drivetrain had.

Autozone had to order the bearing/collar and it won't be in for a few days, I bought one for a '77 2+2. I suppose tomorrow I can put the tranny back on with the 225mm collar and see if it was preloading the clutch.

The motor is a pretty stock L28ET with a turbo back exhaust(2.5"->3") and megasquirt with 7psi of boost, so it should be well within the capabilities of this clutch. The clutch is(was?) a 240mm with a fidanza aluminum flywheel.

Test fitted the tranny with the 225mm collar and it looked fine, plenty of movement before contacting the PP fingers. Now I really have no idea why the weights got stuck, but they're not going back on. When this clutch dies I think I'll try a southbend as others have had good luck with them.