HybridZ

A518 vs 700r4 dimensions

So I have been prepping my 280z for a few months now for a v8 swap. Was planning a SBC but now am considering mopar v8 and possibly a 440. I've been looking into the transmission and I know that you have to create some "reliefs" in the tunnel for the 700r4 to clear. I am wondering if anyone knows the width of the a518 overdrive auto vs the 700r4.

The a518 is several inches longer than the 700r and the mounting point is a few inches rearward. It seems to be the concensus that the 518 has the same bolt pattern as the th350 mount so I don't see any reason I couldn't use a JTR trans crossmember and the chebby mount and just relocate rearward. I've just read some info that states the 518 is FAT so was wondering how it compares to the 700r4. Thanks for the help guys

Based on some more internet research(take it with a grain of salt) it appears that the a518 bellhousing is 2 inches narrower. 18 inches vs. 20 inch for the 700r4. This doesn't necessarily mean, yet suggests, that the a518 will be narrower overall than the 700r, but probably not by much.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I will continue the updates. The tailhousing on the 518 is LONG. The trans overall is 8 inches longer which means a 12 inch driveshaft? The mounting point is roughly 2 inches closer to diff than 700r4. So from bellhousing the mount point is 24" and overall from bellhousing to tailshaft mounting plane is 38". Will keep the updates coming as I find them out.

Edited by emeraldlion