HybridZ

RB25 S2 Apexi Power Fc Base Map

jakeoster

I purchased a second hand Power Fc for a pretty good price a few days ago and was wondering if anyone knows how good the included base map is. I am going to reset it when I get it to factory settings because I am not hip on blindly running other peoples maps. I was planning on driving it up to the Long Beach area from San Diego to have it tuned when the swap is completed. Would it be wise to do that on the Power Fc? Or should I drive it on the stock ECU and then install the Power Fc in the parking lot (lol) when I get there to have it tuned professionally.

I have an RB25DET S2 with 3" open exhaust, Apexi Power Intake, Greddy Profec B Spec 2 boost controller at 10psi on stock turbo, and a large front mount intercooler, and 91 octane fuel.

On a side note I was considering putting on an AEM meth injection kit to help with the fuel and having the tuner set it up when doing my power fc.

The Power-FC base map is for Japanese 100 oct, usually timing is too aggressive for 91oct.

If you have connected the check engine light you can see when it knocks.

I would recommend running on stock ecu to tuner.

For tuning Power-FC i recommend koji at Driftspeed in Los Alamitos. He is the Power-FC tuner from 90's.

The Power-FC base map is for Japanese 100 oct, usually timing is too aggressive for 91oct.

If you have connected the check engine light you can see when it knocks.

I would recommend running on stock ecu to tuner.

For tuning Power-FC i recommend koji at Driftspeed in Los Alamitos. He is the Power-FC tuner from 90's.

Interesting, as that was who I was going to :D

Thanks for the info, I'm glad I asked!

Is the power-fc D-jetro or L-jetro? With L-jetro power-fc, it does not see boost so it's only controlled by set duty.(can hook up map sensor to see boost).

D-jetro can actually control and learn solenoid duty. Greddy solenoid and Apex solenoid looks identical to me.

But if you already have boost controller just use what you have, because sometime power-fc learning boost duty became headache.

Meth on stock turbo?....not much gain.

• 2 weeks later...

The R33 RB25 is L-jetro.

Below is a bunch of information about boost controller kit for the Power FC. I do not know if the GReddy MAP or Valve will work. I purchased a used APEXi AVC-R controller and a new APEXi boost controller kit harness and installed it as the boost controller add on kit for my Power FC. This is the closest you will be able to get to the D-jetro MAP sensor system as you can get without going full stand alone like AEM or whatever have you. I also highly recommend purchasing a FC datalogit box so that you can connect a laptop up and get full program ability out of the Power FC unit. The FC Datalogit box is far superior to the FC Commander(hand controller).

APEXi 415-A001 Boost Controller Kit:

For those of us with the APEXi Power FC the 415-A001 kit is the add on kit we can get to control our boost level.

Apexi_415-A013_1_13522_13523_13524_13525_13526_13527_13528_13529_13530.jpg

"

POWER FC - FAQ by Paulr33 @ SAU

I was searching for the APEXi part numbers when I ran across this FAQ on Google.

Map Sensor:

499-X001

Valve:

499-X003

Harness:

49C-A002

Exerpts from Paulr33's website

The optional boost controller kit for the Power FC consists of the pressor sensor, pressure sensor harness and solenoid. The solenoid should be plumbed between your manifold and the wastegate actuator (internal wastegate setup). For external wastegate setup it should be plumbed between the manifold and your external wastegate pressure line. The pressure sensor should be plumbed in parrallel with the factory MAP sensor which is used by your standar boost guage.

The solenoid has two labels on it, you should match them accordingly

COM line should goto wastegate actuator

NO line should goto intercooler piping

It can be T'eed into the plumbing with its included T piece fitting.

Boost Controller Kit Type #1

3 wire plug, Solenoid runs to stock boost control loom on stock ECU wiring loom.

3 wires in Apexi loom are for Map sensor - Signal, Ground and Power

Boost Controller Kit Type #2

5 wire plug, Solenoid runs to map sensor harness which runs to Boost Controller port on PowerFC

3 wires are for Map sensor - Signal, Ground and Power. 2 Wires are for Solenoid Power and Ground

Skyline RB25DET PowerFC and GTR RB26 Uses Type #1

The pressure sensor has the main wiring harness directly attached to itself, one end plugs into the 5 pin port on the PowerFC. The solenoid piggybacks off the Pressure Sensor wiring harness which leads to the PowerFC connector port. The wiring is shown below.

MAP Sensor

Red = Positive

Black = Negative (earth)

Green = Signal

Solenoid

Pink = Positive

Black = Negative

When the solenoid wiring meets with the Map Sensor harness the colours for the Soneoid change as follows;

Pink = Red

Black = Brown

Boost Control Kit - Parts Inventory

boost-kit.jpg

Boost Control Kit - Complete Kit

PFC_BCK.jpg

Boost Control Kit - MAP Sensor

PFC_BKC_MAP_Sensor.jpg

Boost Control Kit - Solenoid

PFC_BKC_Solenoid.jpg

Apexi PowerFC - Plug Layout

TN_powerfc-plug-layout.jpg

"Boost display without the Boost Control Kit?

By default as the PowerFC will not show boost pressure as it has no method of reading it in via the stock ECU loom. If you purchase a suitable map sensor and connect it to the PowerFC boost control kit port then the hand controller will display boost pressure. The boost control kit uses a Denso map sensor which is part #DPS 310 2000a - Denso 949940 6270 5V and the wiring loom cable/plug can be brought from Apexi which is around $40 AU. The cable is listed as the 3pin boost control harness. Nengun has this listed under Electronics -> Apexi -> D Jetro Option Parts

Alternatively below is the pin out diagram for the Boost Control Kit port. This is for the 3 pin version only. I am unsure of the pinouts for the 5 pin version.

boostkit-port.jpg

1 = Voltage+

2 = Signal

3 = Ground

"

I have done this on my car and it works correctly. I used the boost control kit harness ($30 new) and the Boost Control kit Map sensor and stepper motor. I connected them up using the supplied plugs & loom and plug it into the PowerFC Boost Control kit port. I purchased the Wire harness 3 pin for ~$25 dropped shipped from APEX integration. The plug on the valve will not just plug into the R33 S2 plug on my car for the stock solenoid. You will have to cut your AVC type R controller harness and solder the APEXi valve plug to your engine harness so it will work. I have supplied the wire colors needed to do this and a multimeter will quickly tell you which wire is the + wire for the stock valve and the ECU controls ground. I also rerouted the valve vent which you will be instructed to vent to atmosphere to vent into the BOV return tube as Nissan had done from the factory.

As far as the timing advance goes I have not touched the stock ignition or fuel maps in the PFC. I can get it to knock at high rpms(5K+) under full throttle under heavy load. I would venture to say if your fuel system is setup correctly that light driving under stock conditions would be okay. I have noticed that the stock map settings are on the rich side of things, probably as a safety precaution. I've seen it go to low 11AFRs under heavy foot operation with both my wide and narrow band.

Hopefully this will help you.

• 3 weeks later...

To do simple tuning you may do it yourself.

A new box has been developed for a Power FC PC interface hardware

that is compatible with official and third party software (eg: copilot, etc).

There are a couple of benefits. They are:

* works with both official and third party software.

* cost-effective solution.

* supports o2 wideband feedback.

* uses USB, so no need for a USB-to-RS232 conversion cable.

Check out www.fc-hako.com if you want to find out more.