HybridZ

Mechanicle Fan Size

I want to not use an electric fan for basic reasons and would like that topic and debate to be avoided. What I am looking for is advice on to what size of mechanical fan I should run. I made a template and think a 15in fan would be fine but bigger is better. It has to be able to clear radiator hoses in which I will be using the flexible ones from summit. I see very little talking about mechanical fans here but I do see them in pictures every now and then.

So if anyone has some recommendations or could tell me their setup that would be awesome.

I'm pretty sure the stock 240 fan is 15" and the 280 fan is 16". Your sizes idea is fine. What is most important is a proper shround so that the fan actually has a chance of pulling the air it moves through the rad and not just in from the sides. IS there some reason you are not considering a nice stock fan with a good clutch? If your stock clutch is not working, search here a simple way to rebuild it. Its just replacing the fluid with in it.

Jim

Well I am doing the JTR conversion and thus I sold my stock fan and clutch. Not that it would have worked "most likely". So I was looking into getting a 15in flex a lite fan with a clutch for like 70 dollars and the flexable radiator hoses and just be done with it. Correct me if I am wrong but besides the shroud, "spacers if needed" and making sure it gets nice and close to my radiator I do not think I need anything else besides the clutch and fan. I am new to the whole car thing but clutches appear to just be a bolt on mechanism.

I want to know what other people use because this is a stock internally 350 out of a truck and feel this would be an adequate setup.

"nice and close" is not the way to go....I don't recall exactly what the rule of thumb is, but the fan should be about 1/2 inside the shroud, and 1/2 outside the shroud. Do some searching on what is the correct position. I fabricated my own shroud out of aluminum. See below.

http://forums.hybridz.org/uploads/500/DSC01337.JPG

• Administrators

Technically speaking, fan diameter is only one variable... so is blade pitch, count, and RPM.

"nice and close" is not the way to go...

There certainly is a limit. If your motor/trans mounts are soft and your brakes know how to do their job, you'd better have some clearance, Clarance. If you're 'motor plated' then things can get a little more comfy. A typical street car should probably have not much less than 1/2" clearance. As with most things, a little diligence can go a long way to insure you're safe.