HybridZ

What year is my dash?

Wilson_WWSC

What year is my dash? Is 1973 correct? I am looking to get a dash cover and just want to make sure I pick the right one because the catalog has no picture of the 73 dash. They do have a pic of the 70-72 dash, which looks like mine. How do I tell them apart? Also, I might try to repair the dash myself, but it looks like a HUGE pain to take out of the car. I know it can't be all that hard, but how much of a pain is it? And, if I get the dash out, I will feel inclined to change out the gauges for some that work, but that also seems like a huge hassle and seems pricey. (It's a chevy v8 conversion btw) Right now only my amp meter and tach work. I have the wrong gears for the speedo, and I don't know what I need to do to make the speedo read correctly (it is a turbo 350 trans). The fuel gauge is not accurate, I think.

Here are some pics (the glare from the flash really makes things look a lot uglier than they actually are, haha)

IMG_0648.jpg

IMG_0647.jpg

That dash looks exactly like the one in my '73.

MSA's part number is 50-2045 for that (according to my receipt).

Differences between '70 (and early '71) and the later '72-'73 cars was the center console which in turn led to a different position of the cigarette lighter. As you can see on your '73, the cigarette lighter is in the dash above the hazard switch, where as with the "early" Z cars the cigarette lighter was next to the fuse box.

Pulling the dashes in these cars do suck. Requires you to pull the center console, then all the screws around the window sill (and that is the easy part). I'd say glue the dash cap with the dash only dropped out of the way (not completely pulled out).

Not the best picture, but this is what mine looks like (see picture attached).

Mine is the blue Z on Sac's Craigslist with the V8 right now.

If you want (since you are local), you can come see how mine looks before I sell it.

Also, if you ever want to sell that radio, let me know.

post-6032-043535700 1281586601_thumb.jpg

Edited by Barbarossa

Haha, I saw that Z on craigslist today and thought that was a nice dash. Didn't even notice that it was a dash cap. I think I'll have to pick one of those up, thanks for the help. I probably won't be selling my radio unless I sell the whole car. I got the radio off of ebay for cheap and I was just going to use it for that classic look in the center console. It turned out to work perfectly, and even the antenna goes up and down with the switch. I actually have an aftermarket stereo wired up in the glove box.