HybridZ

GReddy gauges in 3 stock gauge location.

LoneStarS30Z

Recently came up off a decent deal for some mint 52mm black GReddy gauges, oil temp, oil pressure and boost for a solid price. Amidst my shopping to buy the missing sensors and harnesses I got to thinking if any of you cool cats have the same set up I'm looking to install?

I was mainly just wanting to see some install pics, not expecting it to look super amazing, but I think it's a slightly more modern and tasteful update. I know our gauge "holes" are 60mm, so I was wondering what ideas you guys had for filling that 8mm gap. I read that someone used some black PVC piping to fill the gap which is what I'm thinking of doing.

However, mounting those 3 gauges in that location leaves me with one obvious and unanswered question, what to do with my fuel gauge?!

I already have a place to mount an aftermarket gauge since my stock one is a bit wonky right now. I haven't done the research yet, but how difficult is it to get an aftermarket fuel gauge installed and working with a 240Z? I'm going to take a poke around the threads here and see what comes up, but I'm just wondering if there's any plug n play gauges for us.

And lastly, what do you guys considering the "correct" way of splicing wires? I'm referring to when I have to splice the 3 gauges. The way I've always done it is that I strip a small part of the insulation of the wire I'm splicing into, then take the end of the wiring joining it and wrap i around a few times, solder it, then wrap in electrical tape.

Also which power wire should I tap into? Tapping all the gauges to one power wire should be fine right? But should I join them in all at one point or wire them a few inches apart? I'm gonna have to do that for the power, ignition and light source.

Sorry for the multiple questions, but I'd like to do it right the first time with this car.

I have 52mm prosports and I just took out the stock gauges and took them apart. I cut out plexi in a circle in the same size as the original gauge plastic lens and then cut the gauge hole in those circles and then covered it with a somewhat matching material and glued it all together!.. I'll have pics up tonight of what my install turned out like...

I'm still missing one gauge up top and just have a filler panel in.

I like using the easy quick splices for wiring as they seem to work just great and are easy/quick. May not be the "Accepted" way, but it works and has lasted for me before so, I'm good to go.

quick_splice.jpg

I can't comment on the fuel gauge, as I run an aftermarket cell with a different sender, but I think it's nothing that a good search couldn't find - Just have to figure out the ohm range of the stock sender and find a guage that reads that range. (my fuel cell is 0-90 ohm, but I'm sure the Z is different).

Essentially, yes...

I took the stock gauges apart and replaced the plastic faces in them with thicker plexi I cut to the same size. I covered those plexi pieces to make them less shiney and them glued them into the stock gauge cups. Then, I just cut a hole right in the middle of my covered plexi to slide the gauges in at 52mm.... Here's a better pic from today, but the gaps look great.

DSCN1420.jpg

• 1 month later...