HybridZ

Mikuni 44 fuel line set up questions

inline6

I'm burning up my Saturday searching for answers and not finding them...

I've got a Mr. Gasket fuel pressure regulator. Thanks to a post I read, I now think putting it in the return line just after the carbs is the way to go, instead of on the supply line before the carbs. However, it is not clear to me based on what I found in the threads so far that you can do that with any fuel pressure regulator. Do I need a special FPR, or can I use this one? The regulator came with 1/4, 5/16, and 3/8 line fittings. Which should I use? The carbs each have T fittings on top of them that are 5/16", but...

The final incarnation of the engine will hopefully be around 300hp. Will 5/16" on the regulator be big enough? What size are the stock supply and return lines in the transmission tunnel of the car (12/70 production date)? Do I need to increase the size of those? If so, what size should each be?

As mentioned before, I will utilize a return line to the tank. I note that the stock fuel rail closes down to a "pin-hole" size (on the very end of the return line). This is undoubtedly to provide restriction of fuel flow and is perhaps a "regulator" of sorts? As recommended in a post, I plan to scrap the factory fuel rail assembly altogether. Thus, the pin hole will be gone. Does this harm anything? I am thinking that the fuel pressure regulator will serve the same function (essentially) as this pin hole does. Sound right?