HybridZ

Strut Piston "Sags"...bad strut?

Hey guys,

We are running Tokico Illuminas and while inspecting my rear suspension (while out of the car), I noticed the gland nut that holds my strut into the strut tube was loose.

I pulled of the strut mount/spring and noticed that the strut piston was sagging. I pulled it all the way up to the top and sure enough, it sagged down (not all the way, but a couple inches). My other strut does not do this.

Is this normal? My wheel/tire combo now seems to only rub on the passenger side. Could this be why?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks guys!

Yes, it still sags with the gland nut on.

The piston doesn't appear to be damaged, but the fact that this one sags and the others do not bothers me. I've never diagnosed a bad strut other than one that had clear piston damage, so I'm not sure if this is a clear indication of a failing strut.

I am thinking it could be causing it to rub by not giving enough resistance when I hit a bump (which is what struts are for) and I only notice it rubbing on the passenger side (which is the side the sagging strut is on), but then again, this may not be related whatsoever. Just throwing that out there.

A strut should push out (expand/erect) not sag (Enter back into the strut body) with no load on it.

If you compress the strut it should slowly come all the way back out (not stop a couple of inches from full extension).

So sounds like you need a new shock.

Edited by garvice

Hey guys,

We are running Tokico Illuminas and while inspecting my rear suspension (while out of the car), I noticed the gland nut that holds my strut into the strut tube was loose.

I pulled of the strut mount/spring and noticed that the strut piston was sagging. I pulled it all the way up to the top and sure enough, it sagged down (not all the way, but a couple inches). My other strut does not do this.

Is this normal? My wheel/tire combo now seems to only rub on the passenger side. Could this be why?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks guys!

Shock's bad. A loose gland nut will allow the upper seal to distort and fail. The gas pressure leaked out and you're probably leaking some shock oil.