HybridZ

Ignition issue

Randalla

In the process of trying to resurrect a friends 1973 240Z that has been sitting for at least five years. I have done all the usual things to get it going again. The car now runs but only when the key is in the start position with the starter energized. As soon as the key is moved to the run position the engine immediately dies. I've eliminated all the usual suspects and changed out all the ignition parts, distributor cap, rotor, wires, etc. and even went to Petronix electronic ignition. After all those changes I still have the same problem. I'm now wondering if the ignition switch is the problem and thinking maybe I can hot wire around the switch to eliminate that possibility. Help me here. Am I forgetting something or overlooking the obvious???

• 1 year later...

Sounds like the ballast resistor by the coil was removed and the wire harness ends were not re-connected. The original wiring allows the 12V from the ignition switch to bypass the ballast resistor during cranking for a hotter spark, then sends the current through the ballast resistor when the ignition switch is in the run position, thereby stepping the voltage to the (coil? points? both?) down to about 9V for longevity. Study the FSM wiring diagram, I think the important wires are black/white and green/white.