HybridZ

L28 FI to L24 carbs - will it work?

Phenomenon

Ok so i have an 81 280zx which has a major fault in the fuel injection somewhere and i cannot figure out where.

I also have a 73 240z that has twin carbs.

Will the intake and carbs "fit & function" on the L28 engine?

As far as I understand the blocks are the same, the 2.8L is just a bored out 2.4.

Thanks, Gordon

L26 is a stroked L24. L28 is a bored out L26.

Alot of this has been covered, search a little on "converting to carbs" or "switching to carbs". Your ZX will be running at a very high fuel pressure for the carbs, might have to address misc issues like the EGR tube on the stock ZX exhaust.

Although I dont see how converting to carbs will be any easier than just trying to fix the FI.

Edited by Challenger

Rarely is anything terribly wrong with the EFI unless you had a fire, got rodent damage, or got flooded.  Corrosion/connectors/bad grounds are usually the major culprits. Each part can be tested for function right from the ECU connector, with the aid of a factory manual, some good probe pins, and a multi-meter.  The injectors and fuel pressure are pretty easy to validate as well. Even a spare brain can be bought used for very little cash.  

Edited by cygnusx1

I did try to search but i keep getting this error

"One or all of your search keywords were below 3 characters or you searched for words which are not allowed, such as 'html', 'img', etc, please increase the length of these search keywords or choose different keywords"

I tried "switching to carbs" "carb swap" "efi to carb" "fi to carb" "converting to carb" etc etc.

I'm assuming the carbed intake will bolt right on and i will have to switch the dist.

As for fuel pressure i have an adjustable FPR so thats no problem.

I have the FSM and all other documents i can get for this car, tested everything, cleaned everything and still it has the same problem... super rich once warm or after WOT.

My next best guess is that the ECU is bad (i know the car has a few water leaks and may have fried it).

Well the FPR might be the problem. Do you have a fuel pressure gauge on it where you can see how many psi your getting?

You may not be able to reduce the fuel pressure low enough. One way to check is to pull off the regulator and see how many psi you get. There may be enough restrictions with the fuel lines, filter, return line, etc that youll still have to much pressure.

OMG here i know i was being a smart ass without coming out with it and thought you would catch on, but the heads are made different one has notches for efi one doesnt. the route you want to go shouldnt affect that but its still an efi head with carbs (wasnt meant to be) but figuring out the efi should be easier than plugging egr in the header, switching to carbs, fpr/gauge, and tuning the carbs since you are going to have to change alot since the efi PUMP is being used and not the stock carb system. Why not just spend the 100-200 at a shop and have them trace it down for you?

I took it to Nissan... they cannot find the issue. They told me in writing "there appears to be no distinct error in the injection system or electrical system"

Waste of $150

Why is there this need to be a smart ass on this forum... i'm a first time Z owner just looking for help.

you need to find another forum, like classiczcars or zdriver or someone who doesnt mind answering a ton of run of the mill questions. Hybrid is more of an experienced, go fast, pushing the envelope site.

Not to mention there are a ton of threads on trouble shooting, all types of files to help you with electical layouts, fuel system and how it works, efi readings, etc and you posted in the wrong section in the first place. This should be in the trouble shooting/tech section. But hey youre new, so please either search, post in the correct section, do some simple tests yourself, or be prepared for getting flamed, threads deleted, etc.

just a fair warning...