HybridZ

primer question

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

im in the process of stripping my car now and have run into a prob. its taking longer than i thought (got to many irons in the fire i guess). now that summers here it rains alot and the humidity is causing some surface rust. i havent decided which paint manf to use yet so i havent gotten primer or anything yet. my ? is can i lightly coat the car with el cheapo spraycan primer to keep it from rusting up till i get it completely stripped and paint over it with good primer or will i have to strip that off when im ready to prime/ paint the car? any suggestions on paint manf? also, does it really make that much difference if i prime it as i get it stripped then decide to use another manf paint?

thanks in advance,

dominic

Dom:

Having spent some time myself in Columbia, S.C., I understand your concern with the humidity and rust factor. Bare in mind that you certainly need to protect the exposed metal surfaces as much as possible. Applying just any spray can primer will create a temp barrier against the elements, however, it can lead to other time consuming results. Todays paints are matched to their primers. The bonds that they achieve have been calculated to offer maximum efficiency and durability. Notwithstand, application of inferior or non-compatible materials will often lead to restripping, sanding and the like. Depending on the amount of "dead time" the car will encounter before you can afford to paint it, and considering the high humidity rate of the area in which you live, are all medigating circumstances contributing to your delima. Application of an oil based medium directly to the exposed metal surface areas will deter such oxidation temporarily. This is a process that can be repeated to continue protection. Additionally, spreading a thin sheet of 1 mil plastic over the coated areas will assist in its protection. The main thing to remember here is to provide a through cleaning of all oil impregnated surfaces prior to the application of any paint and or finishing materials. This method will allow you to protect the surface(s) without having to restrip, sand, and spend unnecessary additional rework time. Hope this helps. Good luck with your project.

Comps, 2thumbs.gif Van