HybridZ

BW T-5 tranny and R 200 diff fluids

J240ZTurbo

ATF for the T5 for sure. I tried regular 70/90w gear oil in mine and it ground gears like a bad tranny. Drained, cleaned and put in some Mobil 1 ATF, shifts like a breeze. Honestly, the AutoZone brand of ATF would suffice, but I'm a "brand name" kinda guy, so I use either Valvoline or Mobil 1.

For the diff, I use Royal Purple or Mobil 1 synthetic - whatever's available. You can use the 75/90w, I personally prefer the 75/140w - others may disagree.

I tried the MTL in the T5, and after my 3rd session on the track day, 3rd to 4th started grinding like a bear. I would imagine on the street, the MTL would be fine. It worked for me - until I hit the track and started abusing the tranny, then it really became noticeable and a big problem. With the ATF in the T5 now, track days are "grind free". You're absolutely right - it's all about "intended use".

I haven't had issues with MTL on the track; although others (not being used to the T5) that have driven my car, are not as clean with the shifting and have commented about notchy shifting, problems with downshifting, and grinding gears. With the T5 on the street, there's no issue, and on the track, as long as I match revs, I seldom have a problem.