HybridZ

typical under 12.5 v8 Z....

Guest BadKarmaCreepin

Guest BadKarmaCreepin

what would the 350 be made of to make it faster than 12.5 in the 1/4? just out of curiousity, start with the most basic add-ons, and go from there. i'm not talkin' a car with flame spittin' from it's ass and blazing through the 1/4 in 7 seconds, but what specific parts would be needed to just make it to 12.5 (not that it isn't blazing). i want to hear different opinions on setups for the v8. thanks.

Traction.

As for motor... Nice aluminum heads, port matched, Victor Jr. Intake, decent roller cam, overall compression of 9.5-10:1 and rear wheel HP of 350 would be a REAL GOOD START!

Back to the traction issue... These cars are light, so don't go building stump pulling torque. My car reacted well to a broad flat torque curve. Wide tires also help, which explains my fender flares on the rear of my car.

Mike icon_cool.gif

Guest super280z

throughout most of my research on these cars with the v8 swap or w/o, about 300 at the flywheel goes mid 12's. it dosent matter how ya make it. as long as you have traction and about that much power you'll pull it off. as fas as motor goes, just to go 12.50's? isint that pretty modest? icon_biggrin.gif some decent vortec heads and a roller cam on a carbed motor w/ headers should make an easy 12 second timeslip. (not to mention cheap! icon_wink.gif) good luck.

Vince,

For starters, 350 RWHP, indicates a 11.65 ET at the 1/4 mile traps and doesnt account for lack of traction or bad reaction times. 350 RWHP translates into 353 ft.lbs if torque at 5200rpms...which is a nice RPM to trip the 1/4 mile traps.

If the old argument of Volumetric Efficiency & power loss from Flywheel to Rear Wheels is correct then 350 RWHP w/a .85% VE translates into 415 FWHP.

415 is still easily achievable w/the plethora of aftermarket parts nowadays; yet 415 FWHP is nothing to sneeze at.

With the basic foundational powerplant as follows:

1) SBC 355

2) 9.7:1 Comp.Ratio

3) AFR ALluminum Cyl.Heads

3a) 2.02/1.60...190cc Intake Runners

4) Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake Manifold

5) 750 cfm carb (you choose EFI, Q-Jet, Holley)

6) MSD (or Comparable Distributor)

7) MSD 6AL Box

8) Roller Rockers

9) Good Flowing Exhaust System

Using the above & Comp.Cams top 4 sellers you can obtain anywhere from:

1) 252H High Energy Cam

350 FWHP @ 5100rpms/398 ft.lbs @ 3900rpms

NOTE: This engine idled at 600rpms & produced 17-18 inches of vacuum.

2) 268H High Energy Cam

380 FWHP @ 5400rpms/401 ft.lbs @ 4100rpms

NOTE: This engine idled at 800rpms & produced 16 inches of vacuum.

3) 280 Magnum Cam

404 FWHP @ 5700rpms/403 ft.lbs @ 4300rpm's

NOTE: This engine produced a choppy idle & idled at 850rpms where it produced 12.5 inches of vacuum & is recommended that you run a vacuum assist canister.

4) 292 Magnum Cam

430 FWHP @ 6700rpms/399 ft.lbs @ 4400rpms

NOTE: This engine trades torque for HP and should allow the driver to shift at higher rpms as a result. It has a waverey choppy idle which idles at 850/900rpms & only produced 8-9inches of vacuum: not really a daily driver...and a single plane intake would've added @ another 20hp.

All these cams were Hyd.Flat Tappets; if you chose a Roller Cam-things would happen smoother w/improved idles.

Dont forget your rear gears & tire size; once you get the engine of choice you need its powerband to come into play at the correct rpm...fun fun fun/it never ends does it?

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

Guest super280z

Kevin,

i was talking about at the crank, not at the wheels. 350 Rear wheel HP. mid 11's are gravy on good tires. and yeah i've got desktop dyno too. that thing is horribly inaccurate. a buddy of mine made a 100,000 hp motor on that sucker. thanks for the info though. BTW is your z your daily driver?

[ August 28, 2001: Message edited by: Super280z ]

Yes my [inliner] is my daily driver; & I didnt get that info from Desktop Dyno. I also have Desktop Dyno-but I mark my magazines & books whenever an article comparison of cams or cyl.heads are made that also offers dyno print outs.

Drax, I knew as soon as I entered my post "bad reaction time" that it was a mistake...kind of like closing your door as you realize you just locked your keys in the car; wasnt gonna go back & change it tho: I knew someone here would catch it & correct me.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)