HybridZ

Replacing spindle pins with non-OEM hardware

I was wondering what you guys replaced your spindle pins with. In my searching I see some people using long bolts, and others using allthread cut to length.

Mine came out fairly easily, but I managed to compress the threads on one end of each pin slightly, and cleaning them up with a die isn't letting me get my new locknuts on. I see that MSA sells a NOS set for about $65, which might be the way to go.

I'm currently out of town, and wanting to get the proper hardware ordered so I can install it when I return, so any input from you guys is very appreciated! :)

Thanks,

Ryan

I wouldn't use allthread. First off it's usually not the hardest grade of thread, and I think it's safe to say that the spindle pin is under a good deal of stress, not to mention you'd have the threads in bending. I think the thing to do is use a long 5/8" grade 8 bolt that has the shank engaged on the rod ends or bushings so that you don't have threads in bending. That said, the spindle pins are well suited to the task they were designed for, really no reason not to use regular spindle pins, especially if you're going to continue using bushings.

I definitely agree with the spindle pins being a great design, but the price for a NOS set seems to reflect the fact that they're NOS parts.

Definitely still running bushings rather than heim joints for now. Just installed energy suspension red poly all around. They do seem to be quite tight everywhere though. It was a pain getting the rear control arms on as well as getting the pins into the bushing inserts as well.

Jon, I would definitely appreciate it if you knew what an appropriate length for the 5/8 bolt would be so I can make sure the fastener shop local to me will have something in stock in a min of grade 8 in a week when I'm home again :)