HybridZ

240z air conditioning interchange 260Z air conditioning

zgeezer

My 71 Series I 240z was originally equipted with a ARA dealer installed air conditioning... york compressor and small condenser. I have a number of the ARA units from other 240z(s). They all use small (inadequate) hosed condensers up front, a York style compresser, and a "suck" evaporator. The control units are all small glue/screw on plastic housings with two dial switches for fan speed and temperature. These have been attached around the heater/fan.

I've found an early thin bumper 260z that has the 240z front end "look". It has air conditioning, but it is not the 280x style that mounts under the dash on top of the tunnel; this one is the ARA style, but all the plastic housing material is of better quality (The early ARA units were "pop riveted" together), a York compressor, a large full size (same as 280z) condenser that uses hose ends. The hoses run through the firewall at exactly the same place as my 240 and continues to the evaporator.

The air conditioning controls are integral to the dash heating/air conditioning controls. The dash looks to be identical to the 280Z(s).

Is this a factory air conditioning unit or another version of ARA's dealer installed models? This installation really looks "factory".

My question is how much of the early 260Z is interchangeable with my 71 Series I?

Most of the interior plastic panels look as if they would fit.

The gas tank filler hose is a 99% fit as that is what I am now using.

The back panel under the deck lid is a perfect, but not era correct, fit.

I know that a 280Z dash can be made to fit, but is the early 260Z dash mounts the same as the 240 or 280, or something entirely different?

Sorry for the long post. The real immediate question is whether I can easily use the 260z dash, with the integrated heat/ac controls, in my early 240.

I'm 99% certain that the ac evaporater and condenser can be easily adapted.

G