HybridZ

head light trouble? please help

Hey, I have been looking around about why my headlights only have lowbeams, I asked the guy at my local auto parts store and he said that there is a relay called the passing relay so I did some searching and found one on black dragon. I cant find anything about where the relay goes. I attached pictures of the relay and hopefully someone can tell me where it goes, or if I got took for 15 dollars

Thank you for all your help!

post-4493-084869700 1282971127_thumb.jpg

post-4493-058692400 1282971136_thumb.jpg

post-4493-088109600 1282971141_thumb.jpg

I have a similar issue, oly my low beams work.

I've been told it's a bad earth. I've looked at the wiring diagram and by the look of it I need to check the earth at the combi switch, could be bad contacts there.

You may want to give that a try.

Z cars that have sat for a while tend to have the low beam/high beam switch get gummed up. It's in the turn signal lever attachment. Have you tried pulling back on the turn signal lever? It is a toggle switch for high beam to low beam.

If the turn signal toggle doesn't switch the lights from high to low, you can try cleaning the switch. I have had success with Deoxit contact cleaner, just spraying it in to the switch itself then working the toggle back and forth.

What year and model car are you talking about and how long have you had the problem?

No idea what that part is that you're showing.

My low beam/high beam switch needed to be shimmed (don't know why) in order to get the high beam to engage. You should hear a definite click when turn on the high beams. If your lower beams work, then the ground works as the high beams and low beams share the same ground on a 240z. The ground is located on the turn signal stalk. The combo switch only provides power to the lights and the parking lights, the low beam/high beam switch is where the ground it located.

Edited by ktm

http://www.blackdragonauto.com/icatalog/zr/full.aspx?Page=58

This is where i got the part, its near the bottom and is for headlight relays

Z cars that have sat for a while tend to have the low beam/high beam switch get gummed up. It's in the turn signal lever attachment. Have you tried pulling back on the turn signal lever? It is a toggle switch for high beam to low beam.

If the turn signal toggle doesn't switch the lights from high to low, you can try cleaning the switch. I have had success with Deoxit contact cleaner, just spraying it in to the switch itself then working the toggle back and forth.

What year and model car are you talking about and how long have you had the problem?

No idea what that part is that you're showing.

Okay I will take a look at that

My car is a 74 260z

and I would love to fix the highbeams because the lows are so terrible I cant drive over 30mph at night

Edited by hagerty_justin